MHA (debating a school) / MD vs. DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAusygirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading posts on this forum, and the information is great, so I am ready to start posting to get some good advice.

I go to Long Beach State, in the HCA graduate program. Have been there for a little over one semester, and now have been accepted into USC's HCA program. Not sure if I should take the opportunity, one that is amazing and going to open a lot of doors, however, will cost me about $100,000. Love HCA information, but also want to pursue a medical career.

I am considering a joint degree, by transfering into a MHA/DO program. Not sure if that is the best way to go about it. I just completed an EMT course, hoping to start a job soon and just work the clinical side because I like it so much. Have been volunteering in a hospital for about a year now, so I am very comfortable in a hospital and know my way around.

At this point, I don't know if I should stick with an expensive MHA program, or stick with Long Beach MHA and study towards medical school. I will not be able to afford USC and DO school, so I have to choose. And this is where I need help.

I love medicine, but I also need to start my career. I graduated from UCDavis in 2008 and haven't been able to find any paid positions since then. So I am at a cross road of where to take my career. My undergraduate GPA is horrible, so my open options are DO or international med schools. But I know I can take it on because I love it, can handle it, and my grades and opportunities reflect my current abilities ( right now I have a 4.0 and just got into USC, so I know I have the potential, just want some advice of where to go.)

Any advise on which option to take is greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all the SDN members who take the time to voice their thoughts:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
An MHA is gonna be worth very little as a physician unless you want to be some kind of administrator, but even then, by the time you get to that point your knowledge/degree will seem outdated because you didn't use it.

A 4.0 gpa in a grad business program isn't going to help you if your undergraduate science gpa is below 3.0. If that is the case, I'd be looking into post-baccs or special masters programs.

If you have completed all your medical school pre-requisites, study for and take the MCAT, see where you stand and then decide accordingly.