1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MI ER Programs

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by apellous, May 5, 2004.

1. apellous

apellous Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone have a info on the MI ER programs. MD and DO. Are they solid programs, malignant, hard to get into, etc.

Thanks

Apellous

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interviewed at UM. Nothing but good remarks of the program from my knowledge of it. Residents seemed happy, excellent air medical involvement, PD and faculty were friendly, salary is pretty good.

4. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at Grand Rapids and now have several friends there. Great program, crappy city.

5. rh

rh Member
    10+ Year Member

UM is very acedemic they see alot of odd stuff in their ED: transplants, people flying in from far away places to be seen, ect. Not alot of trauma at UM but the resident do go to Hurley in Flint for Peds ED and a "county type" ED experience with lots of trauma.(you don't have to start your own IV ect.). All of the MD programs in MI are good to excelent, but if you are a DO you have to have done an internship before they will even talk to you, so keep that in mind. As for the DO programs MSU in Lansing and Genesys in Grand Blanc are the only two I think are worth mentioning. Sparrow/MSU is supposed to be a very good program and is dual accredited. Genesys is a large community hospital with a good volume and decent pathology. Not alot of trauma (level II) but everything else is pretty good. I have several friends there and they seem to be happy. They are also working towards a dual accreditation for next year.

6. Sheerstress

Sheerstress Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As one who has been around some of the MSU programs, I can say that all of them are pretty benign community-based programs, and for the most part do not differ significantly between Lansing, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, and Saginaw.

You might not see quite the pathology you might see at some of the more urban programs (i.e. advanced disease in the indigent population due to lack of available care), but you will certainly see more than enough to make you a competent EM practitioner.

I would say that they all have a moderate degree of competitiveness among them, but probably no more than any "typical" EM residency, if there is such a thing.

7. Sheerstress

Sheerstress Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I disagree :p

Grand Rapids is a bit more conservative than some other midwestern cities, but there's plenty to do, the people and the hospitals are great, and even those who are put off by the politics admit that it's a good place to raise a family.

And if you REALLY have to get away for a spell, Lake Michigan is only a half hour away, and Detroit or Chicago about 2 - 2.5 hours away.

8. floweree

floweree Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone know anything about Botsford or POH???

9. Emo

Emo Number Juan
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed for the linked internships at Sparrow and Ingham. After completing the internship you are fast tracked into the EM program, for a total of 4 years. I discovered at the interview that they basically have only 4 spots open each year, 2 at Ingham and 2 at Sparrow. Then, to make it even more competitive, they reserve 2 out of the 4 positions for MSU DO grads...meaning there are actually only 2 spots open. It also seemed like the internship director at Sparrow favored applicants who were politically active in the AOA and whatnot. Hope this helps.

10. doc1

doc1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a resident at Sparrow. There are no reserved spots for any MSU graduates there. It is true that 5 out of the 10 slots each year are reserved for DO's, but sometimes there are more, sometimes less.

doc1

11. Midwest Medic

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at POH, Genesys, and Metropolitan in Grand Rapids. I was offered spots at all three, and chose Metro. I think it is a more laid back program, and just seemed to like the city a lot better than Flint and Pontiac. All three seemed like excellent programs, and I have friends who rotated at all three. Actually have one starting his internship at POH. POH you are more likely to see the urban problems like no access to care.......... The other two are more suburban, but all have rotations at inner city hospitals to get that experience. I'll be happy to answer any questions about all three of these programs.

12. Emo

Emo Number Juan
    7+ Year Member

Okay, there are 10 total spots at the MSU program at Lansing and the residents divide there time between both Sparrow and Ingham. This program has both MDs and DOs and is dually accredited i.e. you can sit for the ABEM or AOBEM after completing the residency. The difference is that the DOs must have completed an AOA-approved internship before matriculating into the EM program. With the LINKED internship the new DO grad can complete his internship at either Ingham or Sparrow Hospital. In essence, the program is a PGY 1-4 program to DOs. To the MD grads it is basically a PGY1-3 program.

When I interviewed, the DO internship director for Sparrow Hospital, Cheryl Doane, DO told our interview group that usually 5 DOs go into the EM program after completing an AOA approved internship. 4 out of the 5 DOs are fast tracked into the program after completing the LINKED internship at either Sparrow or Ingham. The remaining DO spot completed an internship somewhere else. But I can honestly say Dr. Doane admitted that out of the 4 linked internship spots, 2 of them are reserved for MSU DO grads. I don't think this has changed since last November but I assure you this what she said.