Michigan (OOS) vs. Penn

Started by coolguy07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coolguy07

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UMich (OOS)
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • better general dentist clinical exposure
Cons:
  • graded
  • mandatory attendance
  • under construction
School 2: U Penn
Pros:
  • better chance of specializing
  • fun city
  • P/F
  • attendance isn't mandatory
Cons:
  • 130k more expensive
Summary:
The cons for both of them are that they are far from home and cold. I would love to specialize! I will be taking out a loan for tuition only (do not need to take out a loan for food and rent). So the difference between the two ends up being 130k. Is the difference worth it if I know that I want to specialize for sure? I understand that the ivy name does not make a difference when applying for specialty but does pass or fail make that big of a difference?

Also if anyone could comment on how the new dean at UPenn is and how are the new changes?
 
UMich (OOS)
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • better general dentist clinical exposure
Cons:
  • graded
  • mandatory attendance
  • under construction
School 2: U Penn
Pros:
  • better chance of specializing
  • fun city
  • P/F
  • attendance isn't mandatory
Cons:
  • 130k more expensive
Summary:
The cons for both of them are that they are far from home and cold. I would love to specialize! I will be taking out a loan for tuition only (do not need to take out a loan for food and rent). So the difference between the two ends up being 130k. Is the difference worth it if I know that I want to specialize for sure? I understand that the ivy name does not make a difference when applying for specialty but does pass or fail make that big of a difference?

Also if anyone could comment on how the new dean at UPenn is and how are the new changes?
Michigan is a great school, and MUCH cheaper...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad