Michigan (OOS) vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolguy07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UMich (OOS)
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • better general dentist clinical exposure
Cons:
  • graded
  • mandatory attendance
  • under construction
School 2: U Penn
Pros:
  • better chance of specializing
  • fun city
  • P/F
  • attendance isn't mandatory
Cons:
  • 130k more expensive
Summary:
The cons for both of them are that they are far from home and cold. I would love to specialize! I will be taking out a loan for tuition only (do not need to take out a loan for food and rent). So the difference between the two ends up being 130k. Is the difference worth it if I know that I want to specialize for sure? I understand that the ivy name does not make a difference when applying for specialty but does pass or fail make that big of a difference?

Also if anyone could comment on how the new dean at UPenn is and how are the new changes?

Members don't see this ad.

UMich (OOS)
Pros:
  • cheaper
  • better general dentist clinical exposure
Cons:
  • graded
  • mandatory attendance
  • under construction
School 2: U Penn
Pros:
  • better chance of specializing
  • fun city
  • P/F
  • attendance isn't mandatory
Cons:
  • 130k more expensive
Summary:
The cons for both of them are that they are far from home and cold. I would love to specialize! I will be taking out a loan for tuition only (do not need to take out a loan for food and rent). So the difference between the two ends up being 130k. Is the difference worth it if I know that I want to specialize for sure? I understand that the ivy name does not make a difference when applying for specialty but does pass or fail make that big of a difference?

Also if anyone could comment on how the new dean at UPenn is and how are the new changes?
Michigan is a great school, and MUCH cheaper...

Reactions: 1 user
I go to Penn. I love Penn. Penn is not P/F, and no school is worth $130K more pre-interest than any other school. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Michigan and don't even think twice about it. You can specialize coming out of UMich and save an enormous amount of money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)