Michigan Pre-orientation program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor_rigby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess there was something in my application that necessitated my invite to this program. I don't think it is mandatory though. Does anyone from Mich know anything about it and think it would be helpful before school starts? I actually had something planned for that week and not sure if I should cancel it and go to the pre-orientation week.

Members don't see this ad.

I did it last year, and I found it to be enjoyable & beneficial. The program provided us an opportunity to become familiar with the dental school / campus, meet faculty & upperclassmen, get a preview academically of what was to come during the upcoming semester, practice drilling & waxing, and, most importantly, I was able to get to know some of my classmates prior to starting classes. On the first official day of classes, it was nice to already be familiar with my surroundings and recognize a few familiar faces. I would highly recommend doing this program if given the opportunity. I can appreciate wanting to take full advantage of summer break prior to starting the rigors of dental school, but this program is very low key and relaxed, and it provides a nice transition into the life of a dental student. Hope this helps...

What qualifies a student to be invited to the program?

I'm honestly no too sure. We were a very mixed group last year. There was a mix of non-traditional, older students but also traditional students who had just graduated. Our collective take was that we were chosen at random, and that it is a part of some research study. Beyond that, I'm not sure what criteria are used in selecting the students...