Michigan Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATHELP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that people eliminate schools to which to apply once secondaries come around, and I'm wondering if I should apply to Michigan.

The tuition is really expensive for out of state students, and my one friend is going there, but they suggested she take a year off and work in Michigan to get state tuition. So she deferred her acceptance to work a year.

I'm already taking a year off in between undergraduate and graduate so I don't want to do that, but I'm not sure I would want to pay state tuition either. How do you decide if you should do the secondary? (if the MSUCOM secondary wasn't so involved, I would just send it in, but since its not, I'm not sure).

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

MCATHELP said:
I've heard that people eliminate schools to which to apply once secondaries come around, and I'm wondering if I should apply to Michigan.

The tuition is really expensive for out of state students, and my one friend is going there, but they suggested she take a year off and work in Michigan to get state tuition. So she deferred her acceptance to work a year.

I'm already taking a year off in between undergraduate and graduate so I don't want to do that, but I'm not sure I would want to pay state tuition either. How do you decide if you should do the secondary? (if the MSUCOM secondary wasn't so involved, I would just send it in, but since its not, I'm not sure).

Any thoughts?

I think you should send in the secondary and go from there. Who knows if you will be accepted anywhere else and do you really want to waste an opportunity? I am from MI and I did some undergrad classes at MSU and it is very BIG, but a great school. You can always turn them down if you change your mind, but you've made it this far, so I think you should go for it!

mtrose said:
I think you should send in the secondary and go from there. Who knows if you will be accepted anywhere else and do you really want to waste an opportunity? I am from MI and I did some undergrad classes at MSU and it is very BIG, but a great school. You can always turn them down if you change your mind, but you've made it this far, so I think you should go for it!

I definitely agree with the above poster. You can weed them out once you have multiple acceptances. Why would you waste money to have your primary application sent to them and not filling out their secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think MSUCOM secondary was so bad. On the other hand, I haven't done OUCOM yet... not sure if I want to bring my family back to Ohio for 4 years after residency.

I thought WesternU/COMP was the toughest secondary application to fill as far as time and length.