Michigan State CHM Interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be interviewing at Michigan State in a couple of weeks and was wondering if they are still offering acceptances or only waitlist positions?

It would also be useful to know how long after the interview do you hear your status.

Any information from people who recently interviewed there or current Michigan State students would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, my appication was on hold from August to January (pre-secondary) and then I just recently received an interview invite, so don't give up hope!!

Good Luck to everyone as they complete the final stretch of the application madness :luck: :luck:

I am super excited to have to chance to visit MSU! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on your upcoming interview! Though my family and I have been MI residents from quite some time, my father's originally from Cleveland, and we visit his side of the family there all the time, so much love to Ohio!

I actually just interviewed at MI State on 3/24 (Thurs) and was accepted via phone call on 3/29 (Tues). And I believe there was someone else from my interview day, a Cali resident, who also posted they were accepted. So they are definitely still giving out acceptances, and you are not necessarily interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Just to give you a heads up, they do accept about 80% instate and 20% out-of-state. And their committee meeetings are always on Tuesdays. At interview day, they told us that they would call those accepted on the following Thursday, so I don't know why my particular group got Tuesday calls. Maybe they mispoke during the presentation, or they call between Tues-Thurs.

Definitely check out interview feedback--they ask everyone the same three questions. At any rate, good luck!

OhioMD said:
I will be interviewing at Michigan State in a couple of weeks and was wondering if they are still offering acceptances or only waitlist positions?

It would also be useful to know how long after the interview do you hear your status.

Any information from people who recently interviewed there or current Michigan State students would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, my appication was on hold from August to January (pre-secondary) and then I just recently received an interview invite, so don't give up hope!!

Good Luck to everyone as they complete the final stretch of the application madness :luck: :luck:

Thank you so much for the information!

MSU seems like a very nice school and I feel very lucky to have a chance to visit.

Congrats on the acceptance, maybe we will be classmates! :clap:

Ohio is not too bad but I wouldn't mind a change of scenery ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
No Problem!

MSU is a pretty nice school--their facilities are not necessarily the best, but their program is very well respected. I know several fourth years at the school, and they all managed some pretty impressive matches just recently.

Also, just to give you more of a "heads up"--you'll get two interviews in the afternoon (after the morning presentation, lunch, and tour). One, with a student, and the other with a faculty member. Both my interviews were pretty short--only about 30 minutes or so. That was mainly because they were quite close together and I couldn't go over in time or I would've missed my second one.

Though I think, in general, they try to keep the interviews for everybody around 30 min. It's a small school--only about 100 students or so in the class. Also, you go away to one of five "communities" (Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Flint, one in the UP for rural medicine, and I forget the last one) for your rotations in 3rd & 4th year. So in general, I think they're looking for people who will fit in to that type of environment i.e. "where everybody knows your name."

In the morning presentation, they ask everyone to go around the room and talk a bit about where they're from, they're background, and then one thing that makes them unique. It's not a big deal, but I tihnk it helps to come up with something memorable about yourself that sets you apart. Some people in our group were marathon runners, marines, had traveled abroad extensively, etc. So just be prepared :)

If you have any questions, PM me or post here.

Best of luck to you!

QUOTE=OhioMD]Thank you so much for the information!

MSU seems like a very nice school and I feel very lucky to have a chance to visit.

Congrats on the acceptance, maybe we will be classmates! :clap:

Ohio is not too bad but I wouldn't mind a change of scenery ;)[/QUOTE]

OhioMD said:

One of my friends just interviewed there yesterday-he will find out in two weeks whether or not he gets accepted. Prior to that, I have a friend that was accepted about a month ago. My friend who interviewed yesterday said that 80% of the students interviewing that day were out-of-state. MSU CHM only accepts around 20% out-of-state...so I don't know exactly what your chances are. But really, why don't you just call the admissions office and ask if they are still interviewing for actual slots, or just for the waitlist? If you are shy you don't have to tell them your name.

BTW-I will be attending MSUCHM next year-so I just wanted to say 'Hi'. Good luck!

Go Spartans And Lady Spartans!

Wow, you Michigan people are super. Thanks for the tips regarding the interview and suggestion to call the Admissions Office.

With the friendly responses I have gotten from this thread, I am even more excited about going to the interview :) I would enjoy having such nice folks as my classmates! :thumbup:

I cant believe they are shooting this bad... down by 15 :mad:

If you were invited for an interview, being from out of state is not a factor anymore. You are on the same playing field as the Michiganders at this point. They factor the 20% in when they invite us outta staters.
BTW-I got in from Cali with less than perfect numbers. Good luck

I was told the same thing about the out of state factor already being accounted for during the screening for interviews process. I was accepted two weeks after I interviewed, and my sister interviewed on 3/24 and was accepted on 3/29. We're both CA residents.

Mr. E said:
If you were invited for an interview, being from out of state is not a factor anymore. You are on the same playing field as the Michiganders at this point. They factor the 20% in when they invite us outta staters.
BTW-I got in from Cali with less than perfect numbers. Good luck

Thanks Mr. E and WillyWonkerer!

I hope I can follow in your foot steps!! :D

WillyWonkerer said:
I was told the same thing about the out of state factor already being accounted for during the screening for interviews process. I was accepted two weeks after I interviewed, and my sister interviewed on 3/24 and was accepted on 3/29. We're both CA residents.

Wow, going to med school with your sister...thats cool.