Michigan State University CHM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm excited to meet you all come August. I am currently in Germany until July, so I was wondering if anyone would want to get an apartment together or has an open room in one. A few friends of mine, who are finishing up their first years at MSU-CHM and COM both said (like everyone else here) Berrytree and Club Meridian are good places to live. Well now the awkward part...I am a very easy going, social, clean guy, but I also know when to shut up and study. Thanks, see you all soon

Members don't see this ad.

So I will also be in the class of 2013- hello to you all! I am still in shock that this is actually going to happen, even though I was accepted in January. I am looking at Spartan Village, but the consensus seems to be to stay further away? Besides, I have a cat and I would like to have him with me.

Has anyone heard of med students commuting? I live about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Lansing. Is that crazy?

Hey Obee,
What are some areas to avoid in terms of housing? My wife and I are looking to buy a home.We don't know the neighborhoods.

We found some great houses an area being reidentified call Baker Donora. I know it used to be rough but I am wondering if it has made any progress towards being more safe. Can you give me some help?

Make sure you're okay with keeping that house for a while - the selling market is dreadful right now. If you are assigned to another community for clinicals, you won't want to deal with trying to get rid of the house!

medassistant - I know of one or two people that have that commute - and they basically stay at school all day. Sometimes they stay with someone closer to school overnight. Most 1st year exams are 8am on Monday morning - you may have to be making that commute in some very bad weather... Things to think about.

shwaycool - can't speak for all OOS students but I'd say for a lot of us it has been an adjustment to be in this area. A lot of it is weather related!! Personally, it seems like a good fit for me in terms of the school itself, but if I had a place to go that was a lot cheaper, I think I would trade places.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I didn't know these threads existed until about now. I'm quite fond of MSU...with them being my first acceptance and all. I feel like I would be a great fit there with the curriculum and learning environment.

However, I'm not sold on the city of Lansing...maybe I didn't get to explore it much but my two and a half days there there were rather miserable. Anyone care to tell me about some of the nice things about the area? That would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, the splitting of the class into different communities was kind of strange to me. I would hate to build up relationships with classmates for the first two years only to never see them again the next two.

Lastly, the OOS tuition is ridiculous. I don't know if I could justify going there...which is too bad because I really feel like I would love it.
hey CRB,
East Lansing is a nice place to study and have fun at the same time. I went to MSU for my undergrad and I love the city. Everything about the city reflects the spartan spirit. The nightlife is very vibrant, but i don't think we med students will have time to go party every night. But for that one day where you wanna get some booze and party with your friends, no city beats EL in the whole state of Michigan. The bus services run by CATA is outstanding (it was rated the best in the nation last yr.) The food in the city's restaurants are second to none - there are plenty of options and you can get a lot of ethnic food here. The people in EL and Lansing are our greatest assets. Every one on the streets are friendly and nice. The cops are nice too...until u get pulled over for DUI, then they become heartless monsters (not from personal experience)
The one thing that I don't like about EL is that almost every apartment is (and all of the cent ones) run by DTN. Its like they are having a monopoly and the rent is quiet expensive and their policies are messed up. Like move in date for me is on the 28th and that sucks...i don't know where i am going to stay during the orientation.
I think that the city is built by and for the students. If you want a nice place without the hustle of a big city and which is not totally dead during the wkends, it is for sure EL.