michigan state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so around when should we be hearing of either interview or acceptance?

I am not asking when we hear about rejections. . . .trying to stay positive:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

From the Michigan website:

Up to 60% of the class will be selected based on exceptional SIS score and submission of a complete application. The remaining 40% of the class will be selected based on a competitive SIS score plus a committee file review and/or an interview. A complete application is composed of a an entire VMCAS application (application, ELORS, payment to VMCAS), GRE scores, transcripts from all accredited institutions attended, TOEFL scores (if required), and if requested, the supplemental application and $50.00 fee.

But no hint at WHEN they might be making their decisions! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really, totally, completely feel for you guys...4 of us got our interview dates around the 24th of January last year, so maybe you won't have to wait that long (unfortunately I don't have any inside information). It's exciting to see this thread move-MSU is a great school, and Hilda and Pat are great resources if you have any questions.

Got an email from michigan.

No interviews this round (unless the REALLY need clarification on your app)

They are mailing out acceptances to those with EXCELLENT SIS scores in mid feb. Other acceptances, rejections, and alternates will be sent out until late march.

and the waiting game continues. . . . . .

anyone heard anything yet?

I am taking a class for michigan pre-req, that I ONLY need for them.
I'd love to know if I'm rejected so that I can drop it (since I'm not even in school right now, I'm working night shifts as an emergency technician)

on the other hand. . .if i'm accepted, I will GLADLY finish up this class. :p

I'm also taking a class for Michigan this semester. It sounds like a few will hear by the end of Feb, but most won't hear until mid to late March. Looks like we'll have to stick out these classes!!

MSU sent out their first round of acceptances at the end of last week (people received them on Saturday that were IS).

No, interviews are not required, in fact getting an interview probably wasn't a very good thing, but I don't think that they gave any out this year.

thanks for the update
I am in virginia for an interview
Guess I will be having my rents stalking the mail...

I got in! I literally just got the acceptance packet in the mail! This is my first acceptance, so although I'm still unsure where I'm going at least I know that I'm definitely going to vet school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind putting out your stats, I am trying to get a feel for what the first round numbers are.
Thanks

Hey SHEEPRL, I also got in OOS yesterday so here are my stats. Hope it helps.

21, Female
GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.73
Last 45 Credit Hours: 3.73
GRE: 1310, 760 Q, 550 V, 5 Writing

Vet Experience:
~4000 hours total mostly working with small animals; some research and laboratory animal work, and a little large animal/equine

Animal Experience:
~100 hours working at an aquarium and have been riding horses my whole life including captain of equestrian team at my school for 3 years

Thanks VetGirl2013. I am of course anxiously waiting and hoping to get accepted in either the first or second send out, I think I am am on par except my GRE scores are a lower. I will just keep stalking the mailbox until I finally hear either way.Thanks for the info!

no problem, here are my stats:

GPA (both science and cumulative): 4.00
GRE 1320

Vet experience:
2000+ hours at an emergency clinic
150 with a zoo veterinarian
300 at a shelter clinic
30 (I know, pitiful) with an equine vet

Animal experience:
500 hours volunteering at animal shelter/fostering
250 working at a doggie daycare
100 dogsitting/petsitting

Research:
2 semesters behavioral research with a stingray
summer research trip to Trinidad to study sea turtles

So are the rest of the acceptances going to go out in one batch mid-March, or keep coming?

from my understanding it will be one batch mid-march (but they've changed their minds before on a few things). Waitlisters and rejections should go out end of marchish.

The first batch was based solely on a competitive SIS score (i.e. grades and GREs), the second batch will be based on your experiences, personal statement, letters of rec etc. in conjunction with your SIS score.

Hope that helps a little.

Then I will be hoping for something in mid March, on more month to go:)

I hate not seeing this thread on the front page. lol. i cant wait till i hear from them. i really felt hopeful when they asked me to do a supplemental. it'd suck to get rejected. :(

i'm thinking positive though!

i emailed them. . . .file reviews are done this friday. letter going out 1st and 2nd week of march. . . .:smuggrin:

Wow I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear from FIVE schools next week, good or bad! I better warn everybody around me to steer clear! :scared:

Yikes....Best of luck to you, DocDVMD! I know that Tufts is on your list as well. :luck:

BTW, I love your avatar!!!

i emailed them. . . .file reviews are done this friday. letter going out 1st and 2nd week of march. . . .:smuggrin:

When I saw the MSU thread up I was like holy crap someone either got accepted or found something out, then my anxiety immediately shot up, I cannot believe it is almost here AHH:eek:! Thanks for emailing them Dreamvet, I was trying to strum up the courage to do the same.

Haha thanks guppy. I figured it was a pretty accurate representation of what I've felt like throughout this whole process. Good luck to you too!

....and mine's a good depiction of how I've been lately! (Have you seen the Tufts thread today?)

Yes, I'm going crazy! Well, good luck to both of us, and maybe we'll end up meeting each other in the fall!

question: did MSU CVM interview ANY of its applicants this cycle? Just curious...

Bumping this up... the 1st week of March is almost over!

and you scared me because I thought it meant someone got their letter! :)

Mkay Michigan, it's time to let us know! :D

amen to that! I'm seriously just ready to know either way .... my GRE scores expire after this admissions cycle and I want to start studying if I have to take them again. :(

you guys....!

you had me thinking that someone had heard something! and the waiting continues...

I declined my offer to MSU-CVM. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully, they will let all those waiting know soon!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

you find out by mail, right?

so far, everyone in the first round of acceptances (which I've heard was meant to fill anywhere from 30-60% of the seats) heard via snail mail from what I know.

I don't know of anyone who has heard from this mid-march time yet though ... so hopefully they haven't gone out yet. I guess.

I actually called yesterday because I was getting fed up with waiting, but the woman who answered simply said "we have until the end of the month, we're still making decisions."

:smuggrin:

that's funny ... since their email that they sent out said middle of march. <roll eyes>. I feel bad for the out-of-staters who would want to come visit the school before making a decision ... I mean, geese y'all have a whole 2 weeks to do so then. Oh wait, their visit day is like april 6th, so make that less than that.

Changing their admissions process has really put a wrench in things this year.

Oh well, hopefully the wait will be worth it.:xf:

I am actually out of state but will be visiting family the from late March to week before the reception thing and it would be nice to know before I head out of town, then I could just postpone my flight home not buy another one out there. Oh well at least the wait is almost over:)

I totally feel for you guys.. we are on spring break this week but we do have a "big sib" planning meeting on Monday - I'll see if I can find out anything new and if I do, I'll post it here. Hang in there.... :luck:

If anyone has any questions about the campus, curriculum, etc, feel free to PM me.

I am SO impatient! I can't stand this wait!

I looked up the original email they sent out following receipt of the supplemental apps:

Dear Applicants,

Thank you for submitting the Supplemental Application and $50.00 fee. Our faculty is currently in the process of reviewing over 350 files and we expect completion of File Review by mid March. We do not plan to conduct interviews unless we feel it is necessary for clarification of the written file. There will be very few, if any, interviews.

Our goal is to be able to send letters of offer to applicants with an exceptional Scholastic Indicator Score (SIS) by mid February and offer letters to the remainder of applicants by the end of March. Alternate letters will also be mailed by the end of March.

We are planning a Welcome Day on April 6 for selected applicants. The details of the Welcome Day will be communicated at a later date but will include tours of the facility and informal, open door question and answer sessions with applicable departments within the college.

Thank you,
The Admissions Team
They did say "by the end" of March--I guess they have decided to take their time.

They can't take that much time if the Welcome Day is approaching rapidly!