Michigan v Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sw72724

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, this isn't a question of Big 10 football dominance, but i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether i'd be a happier MSTP participant (doing biochem) at Ann Arbor or Madison. I've accepted an offer from wisconsin and recently received an offer from Michigan. On one hand, med school at michigan seems much better, on the other madison seems to have more going on in biochem......thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity, specifically what kind of biochem are you looking at doing? chemical biology, structural biology, metabolism/cell biology stuff, etc? after i know this, i can probably give you a more informed opinion on your dilemma... but without knowing anything else, i would probably say madison ('cause its biochem department is one of the top in the country). although, there are many other factors you should consider as well...

best,
aaron

The basic question is where you'll be a happier MSTP student. Here are the specific factors I'd consider:

1) Medical School - As most of us are planning for careers in translational research, our clinical training will be of an utmost importance. With that said, you will have a definite advantage at Michigan. As I'm sure you are aware, UMMS is consistently in the top ten for the US News Research rankings. But even more than this, the quality of the affiliated hospital in Ann Arbor is far superior to that in Madison. The UMich Medical Center just has superior departments in a wider range of disciplines than Wisconsin. Also, the patient population and range of clinical experiences would be more diverse. This might not be as important during the basic science years, but once you start hospital rotations (and are considering what in the world to do in that next phase that is residency), the value of such strong clinical departments is, well... priceless. :)

2) Doctoral Research - When it comes to the Ph.D, it is my opinion that the department is not as important as the individual P.I. with whom you complete your research. It only takes one [lab] after all. The question at this point is whether there are faculty whose research interests sound promising to you. The two or three lab rotations we do are there to help us determine whether the environment is right or not.

Madison does indeed have a higher rated biochemistry department. But is that the be-all/end-all? Another consideration is the strength and overlap of those labs affiliated with the medical school. For example, Ben Margolis and Sean Morrison are both U of M HHMI Investigators that are doing interesting work in cell signaling and the mechanisms of stem cell regulation, respectively. There are probably a host of other faculty at the U of M medical school who are also doing work that might be of interest to you. I don't think the same can be said for Wisconsin, where the graduate and medical school might be more stratified. And since a stated purpose of the MSTP is to produce physician-scientists that bridge the gap between basic research and clinical practice, this is something to consider.

3) MSTP Students - What are your impressions of the students in each program? You will be spending quite a few years with these people, so with whom were you more comfortable? One caveat is that there are programs where a higher proportion of the students are more apathetic to their research (i.e. the Ph.D is more of a title to tack on after their names more than anything else). Here I think it is important to differentiate between the individual doubts/ambivalence that all of us undergo during this long process, compared to a more general underlying indifference that is apparent in many of the students encountered.

I personally think it adds a lot when the students are genuinely dedicated to their research. They challenge us, and contribute to our growth as physician-scientists. You will find such individuals in all MSTP programs to be sure. But the difference in overall mentality and environment between programs are observable and should not be discounted, especially when considering personal happiness.

Well, those are some factors I think might be worthwhile to consider. I would lean towards Michigan myself (Wolverine football notwithstanding!). Either way though, you have great choices. I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll put in a plug for Madison, even though I didn't decide to do MD/PhD after all! I was a biochem major there for undergrad, and their biochem department is among the top in the country. There are tons of PI's who are looking for med students for their labs, so finding a lab is not a problem at all. You'll have lots of different types of projects to choose from, and you'd be in one of the money departments at UW, and one that treats their grad students like gold (and their undergrads like scum, but that's another story.)

And don't let those Michigan kids tell you that their school is far superior. Wisconsin's a hell of a school too, and we've got a BRAND spanking new facility this fall, with about $300 million more to spend on our upcoming research complex next to the hospital. Not to mention the city of Madison, which is one of the greatest places to live (not that I'm biased).

I'll be happy to put you in touch with some MSTP students if you have any more specific questions.

Michigan is a lot better than Madison overall. Only Madisonites believe otherwise.

I'm an MSTP student at Michigan. If you're interested in joining a biochemistry department, Michigan may not be the best place to go. Our former chairman Jack Dixon stepped down a few years ago and moved to UCSD. It took our department 2 years (!!!) to find a new chair; a process that was botched many times at many levels. I don't know much about him and I don't know where the department is heading though as I'm finishing up med school now. Out of all the departments at U of M, I cannot say that biochemistry was one of the strongest. If you're into signaling research, which I consider as strong at Michigan, I would lean towards the Cellular & Molecular Biology department. We have many researchers who are interested in various aspects of signal transduction in a variety of physiological contexts. Ben Margolis and Sean Morrison both have appointments in CMB so if you happen to be into their kind of research, you may want to consider CMB.

Anyways, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have some questions or want some opinions about the MSTP program at Michigan. The PhD phase rocks! The medical school part; however, .......

Also, I agree with slowagarose's comments. You sound like a Michigan MSTPer...I wonder who you are...hmm

Madison is #2 in the nation for CMB (last I heard anyhow).

oh well, i guess i should have applied to wisconsin and checked them out