Resolved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med_decision_time

Reaction score
Decided

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disclaimer - I am going to UVA so definitely biased but will try to offer any advice that I can.

While I agree that there is a prestige difference (T30 vs T15), I wouldn't say there is a match list difference. UVA has a notoriously good match list and punches above its weight with students matching into very competitive specialties. Like you said, there is a very chill culture with very supportive faculty that will do their best to get you where you want to go.

You really seem to prefer UMich more though with your post and southern culture is definitely present somewhat in Charlottesville. UVA has a very frat-like vibe to it which I also was not a fan of. However, it is definitely not as south as schools like UNC or Emory. Its a small city with some very diverse populations (historically a refugee site) so that comes with its own perks like cool restaurants and such. I'm not sure how much you'll like the surrounding cities but Richmond (up-and-coming city IMO) is 1 hr away with some cool malls and places and then Washington D.C. is a two hour drive away. Not too sure about UMich's location but Charlottesville is definitely not a bad place to be in this aspect. In terms of culture, UVA has an equally big sports culture to UMich and students routinely go to games together (Go Hoos).

Since you mentioned dual degree and global health, I'm going to say those are really strong at UVA as well. For the MD-MBA, UVA's business school (Darden) has a 5 degree program that you can do with the MD. Darden is also higher ranked than UMich's Business school (Ross) and the business field is where rankings really matter (although its a very marginal difference). There is also MD-JD, and UVA's Law School is one of the best in the nation (currently tied at 4 with Harvard & UPenn). Also some other cool dual degree programs such as MPH, MS, Data Science, etc. Global Health is also pretty strong here and something I'm planning on getting into. There are medical spanish electives where you serve in Latin America but there is a huge list of other countries you can go to and do research with. There is a dedicated global health center which you can check out but you'll definitely get that experience here :).

Ultimately, I know that the T15 aspect of UMich can be hard to pass up but the price-tag difference of $150k is pretty big. Know that you'll get an equivalent education/experience at UVA and if your vibes are good with Charlottesville, definitely consider going the cheaper route.