Resolved, please remove

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rideaselle

Reaction score
Resolved, please remove

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know Colorado started using the LIC model for rotations. Not having family nearby or P/F at Colorado, plus having to drive at least 30 minutes 1 way each time leads me to suggest VCU.

You would miss out on the home program benefit of Colorado though. There would be a tie since you did some schooling there, but it seems you grew up and went to undergrad in a completely different area than the West.

I know Colorado started using the LIC model for rotations. Not having family nearby or P/F at Colorado, plus having to drive at least 30 minutes 1 way each time leads me to suggest VCU.

You would miss out on the home program benefit of Colorado though. There would be a tie since you did some schooling there, but it seems you grew up and went to undergrad in a completely different area than the West.

Thanks for your help!

I understand the reasoning for LIC rotations, but I’m curious if it’ll really have a positive impact. The few people I’ve spoken too said it can feel overwhelming trying to keep up with more material.

Yeah, I’m from the southeast and stayed in-state for undergrad. Is it difficult to match outside of your med school’s region/where they usually match to? And if so, could you please explain why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help!

I understand the reasoning for LIC rotations, but I’m curious if it’ll really have a positive impact. The few people I’ve spoken too said it can feel overwhelming trying to keep up with more material.

Yeah, I’m from the southeast and stayed in-state for undergrad. Is it difficult to match outside of your med school’s region/where they usually match to? And if so, could you please explain why?
If it is in the manner you described (plus additional travel to the actual sites), I do not think you will benefit and it could be overwhelming.

It is harder to match outside the med school region and where you grew up because programs use that to know why you are applying there in the first place. If you are interested in rads and surgical subspecilities, that is less of an issue since they are competitive and people will submit many residency applications (in addition to using some new features on the residency app to demonstrate interest in specific programs, which may or may not exist when you are at that stage).

I have also been considering CU and having a lot of conflicting ideas about the 1 year preclinical and LIC model. Initially, I saw this as a huge plus for discovering interests earlier and long-term connections with LIC preceptors. Unfortunately, the more I've talked to students, the more I've moved this into my con list for this school- it seems like so much is packed into one year that students are able to be as involved in research or extracurriculars as I would want to be (I've actually heard not allowed to join some until 2nd semester). That being said, there is a ton of research on campus so I don't think options are limited, it just might be harder time wise to get plugged in where you want. I've heard positive things about the structure of the LIC from students and preceptors, but a lot of negatives in the sense that most people are getting assigned their 7th+ ranked spot (assigned via lottery and could be outside of Denver area) and not at the big hospital systems.

I really, really wanted to like CU but the lack of community and excitement from current students for their program is quite disheartening.

Reactions: 1 users
VCU > CU with the current pros and cons posted

Reactions: 1 user