Michigan Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist-to-be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all of us waiting on the Michigan alternate list. Any of you have any information on what's going on or if there's a ranking yet. And also, to those of you who know you are not going to Michigan and haven't rejected it yet just because your deposit is good through May 1, please think of the rest of us waiting anxiously. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean a ranking?

I mean a ranking by number in the waitlist. So if you're number one , then you get the first spot that opens up, if you're number two the second and so on. I know some schools tell their waitlistees their ranking. Dunno bout Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
taken straight for umich's website: http://www.dent.umich.edu/prospective/decisions.html

"Some candidates may be offered an alternate position. We maintain an unranked alternate list each year so that if the class falls below capacity, we may select an alternate for that seat. In some years, a few students are moved into the class from the alternate list, while in other years, no candidates have been selected."

good luck

Michigan said they don't have a ranking system, when a spot opens up the committe will re-evaluate all of those in the list. Good luck

i goto michigan and ill tell u one thing...its gonna be more difficult than usual to get off the alternate list and get in this year:( ....sorry but maintain hope

one of my classmates got in a week b4 school

Thanks for the info guys. Why do you think it's going to be more difficult this year particularly muz? Are there a lot of people in the alternate list? I still am hopeful but I have a back-up school also.

as with most schools, the school attempts to grab the best students on december 1st so that they dont go elsewhere...as a result, the schools often send out more acceptances than seats anticipating that all the acceptances dont come back with deposits, but a problem arises when for example a school with 100 seats gives out 150 acceptances on december 1st and gets 115 deposits.... what to do??? they are over capacity and the rest of the interview dates are kind of like fillers....

i am not speaking particularly about michigan in this instance but it CAN apply here........

the schools usually dont loose the students cuz theyve already put over $1000 so they arent usually gonna let thier money go down the drain...so the schools just pray that students withdraw or something miraculous happens

however like ive said before have faith a classmate of mine got in a week before school started!

muz

There are about 30 people in the alternate list. Hopefully more spots will open up soon.

Hi guys,
I don't know if any of you are still waiting on Michigan or have decided to go somewhere else. For those of us that are still waiting, I called and Jillian said that there might be some good news for some of us after May 11. I thought I'd share. Lets keep our fingers crossed. I had to say no to a few other schools for Michigan and I am hoping it turns out to be good. Best of luck to everyone!

is it time to officially give up yet?

Absolutely not. Last time I called Jillian said this week could be good for people waiting. They had some problems with getting students' lists from AADSAS to determine which students were holding multiple spots. We'll see, but feeling down doesn't help. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
like ive said before...my last classmate got in a week before school
keep ur heads up

okay my head is double up : ):thumbup:

I called the admissions office today. They said that they are planning on giving a few spots to people on the waitlist within a week.

Thanks for the info, best of luck to everyone waiting.

anyone on the waitlist hear anything yet?? i still haven't..
Goodluck you all of you still waiting!!!!!!

anybody??????
has anyone called jillian lately to see what is up?

Nothing! The school is definitely lacking on the administrative side. I think they just need a better system because the people at the office are already really nice. It just feels bad that they haven't let anyone know yet,at least none that I've heard of. I said no to 4 other schools cause I want to go here so bad but this is getting annoying....Let's hope for the best. Good luck guys!

Nothing! The school is definitely lacking on the administrative side. I think they just need a better system because the people at the office are already really nice. It just feels bad that they haven't let anyone know yet,at least none that I've heard of. I said no to 4 other schools cause I want to go here so bad but this is getting annoying....Let's hope for the best. Good luck guys!
What, you turned down 4 other schools... I don't know about your situation, but I would've held a space somewhere. Hopefully, everyone here gets off the waitlist. Good luck.

Oh no, I still have a spot at one school but still...I really want to go to Michigan. I don't know what's happening at this point with the office people. Hopefully they will get back to us very soon.

bad news dentist-to-be
they gave up the waitlist spots but not everyone has confirmed:(

man:(...how do you know? Hopefully it's not true and some of us can still make it. Do they tell you by mail or phone?

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard if all the people from the waitlist that were offered spots accepted them? I was sad but maybe there's still some hope.
:confused:+pity+

Got into my #1 choice, most likely will drop my spot at Michigan within the next week or so. Good luck to those who are waiting.

Hey, congrats wherever you are going and thank you for the spot. Hopefully it goes to one of us here...Where are you going ,if you don't mind?

What would be the average GPA and DAT scores of an average applicant attending Michigan this Fall?
Thanks,
Dan

I think predents.com might be helpful for that. I have no idea what the exact stats of everyone entering in the fall might be. I know a student there who got in last year with an 18 AA so it can vary and is based on a lot of things. I have a 23 AA and 4.0 and am still waiting.....

Withdrew my spot. Hopefully someone gets it. Best of luck to the person who takes my spot, you're going to get a kickass education.

Thanks for keeping us posted and good luck to you! I wonder how many of us are left in the waitlist. I met a couple people who were waitlisted, were offered a spot and declined it. But this was in June and they were out of state/international so....but i'm still hopeful. The thing with Michigan is that they try to find a similar person to those who withdraw to take any spots that open up. So if no in-state people give up their spots...i'm gonna be in a tough situation. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for keeping us posted and good luck to you! I wonder how many of us are left in the waitlist. I met a couple people who were waitlisted, were offered a spot and declined it. But this was in June and they were out of state/international so....but i'm still hopeful. The thing with Michigan is that they try to find a similar person to those who withdraw to take any spots that open up. So if no in-state people give up their spots...i'm gonna be in a tough situation. We'll see how it goes.
That's kinda ******ed... didn't know that. :(