Micro/BioChem/A&P take Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UKdreams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Psychology major so Micro, BioChem and A&P are not required for anything. After a visit to the admissions office at the dental school I want to go to, they mentioned taking any of these classes would be a brownie point on my application. Do you think it would be to my advantage to take one or two of these classes pass/fail as opposed to not taking them at all? With the upper levels I have on my plate for my last year, taking BioChem, for instance, outright is not an option.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't. It does show that you're interested, but at the same time, it won't help plead your case because those classes serve as predictors for how well you'd do in dental school courses. A pass isn't going to say much about how much knowledge you've accumulated from the class. If your intent is to take them, you should expect to receive the letter grade...but you should also be genuinely interested...otherwise I wouldn't waste my time doing "unnecessary" classes. But honestly, I thought A&P, Micro, Biochem really opened my mind and taught me so much about science. Your call though - Just my 2 cents (I have nothing to show for it). I wish you luck!

Thanks for your advice! I figured that taking the class would help be familiar with the actual course before taking it in dental school could possibly help, but also prove as a negative at the same time because it does show that I was "scared" or did not want to put the time in. I think I'll avoid biochem and go with taking micro and/or a&p. Those don't prove to be impossible courses and it would probably be worthwhile. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to UG at UK....dont waste ur time with micro there. It was not very useful. However, AnP and biochem (which i did not take there) are required by virtually all other dental schools, so unless u are only applying to UK, then you should take them for a grade. I wish I took biochem and AnP instead of micro and histology, that way i wouldnt have to take classes right now to finish all my prereqs before i start.

I'd go for the Biochem definitely, since more and more schools are now requiring it. The problem with taking classes Pass / Fail is that a Pass is assumed to be a C.

No two bones about it, your first year of dental school is going to be hard, I went from taking 12 units in undergrad to taking 25 my first semester - so it might help to ease your way in to a more difficult schedule.