Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

micro/immuno

Discussion in 'Step I' started by nasdr, Apr 6, 2007.

1. nasdr

nasdr Member

my original plans for these subjects were pretty lofty (i.e. Lange primarily), but I don't think I'll have enough time to get thru this monster text.

for those who have taken step1, do you feel that the following texts are enough:

Micro: CMMRS w/ FA
    Immuno: How the Immune System works w/ FA

To me, these seem like quicker reads, but I'm wondering if the info is kind of superficial (esp the immuno one). Any advice would be awesome.

-nasdr

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Lange is very thorough for micro, perhaps too much so, which is why it's good to supplement it with the memory devices in CMMRS.

For immuno though, it is absolutely gold. These 2 texts, along with FA to keep your notes organized, is more than enough. Micro on Step 1 wasn't that hard (at least on the test I got).

4. PhatGtDmB

PhatGtDmB Member

this is an easy choice:
    Micro - micro made ridiculously simple
    immuno - lange micro/immuno book its about 120 pages GOLD STANDARD

holla

5. ralhtar

ralhtar Member

FA for immuno is more than sufficient...and to sound repetitive.. there is no better resource than CMMRS...

you don't need to read 120 some pages since the boards will require more critical thinking than just blirting out little details anyway (though you do need to know that in order to think critically but still) focus on knowing the basics really really well so when it comes to apply those facts you have all the info you need!

6. nasdr

nasdr Member

thanks for all the pointers; i only have three days to cover both these topics but it seems definitely possible now.

7. SkylineMD

SkylineMD Senior Member

Medical Student
    might not be a bad idea to make it 4 days and cover the pertinent drugs along with micro

8. cak0705

Pre-Medical
    In the back of the Lange book (I think it is Part VIII) there is a summary of all the bacteria/virus/etc that is basically a HY section of the entire book. I would recomend doing that section for micro because it is about all you need. I would look at the part (VII?) that has the clinical vignettes of the different diseases, too.

9. nasdr

nasdr Member

this is what i intended to focus on also. thanks for the input.