Micro resistance q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msbbc833

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

I came across a question that asked about staphylococcus' mechanism of resistance to penicillin. I picked that it was due to presence of an enzyme (B-lactamase) that degrades it. Another choice was altered PBPs; but I thought that confers resistance to methicillin, naficillin, dicloxacillin. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall,

I came across a question that asked about staphylococcus' mechanism of resistance to penicillin. I picked that it was due to presence of an enzyme (B-lactamase) that degrades it. Another choice was altered PBPs; but I thought that confers resistance to methicillin, naficillin, dicloxacillin. Is that correct?

For Staph it's the PBP alteration. Methicillin and the others are technically PCNs. I think your B-lactamases are restricted to your Gram negatives and is found in their periplasmic space.

For Staph it's the PBP alteration. Methicillin and the others are technically PCNs. I think your B-lactamases are restricted to your Gram negatives and is found in their periplasmic space.

Yes that's true.

Another issue at hand is GPs just shoot beta lactamases into the open space surrounding them, but that's hardly as efficient.

Source: I think it was a question from the USMLEasy questionbank. Can't recall. But it was from one of the qbanks