Microbio flashcards - any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jllander

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we have just started studying microbiology and I'm looking into buying some flashcards. I know BRS has a set but there are other ones out there. For those of you who have done this already, which ones are most helpful (both for the class and the boards later on)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the BRS notecards for my Micro course, the NBME shelf, and the boards. Personally, I felt that they were pretty good for step 1, but for the other tests they were nowhere near detailed enough. I was actually disappointed in the BRS cards in terms of studying for my course.

bnichols0330 said:
I used the BRS notecards for my Micro course, the NBME shelf, and the boards. Personally, I felt that they were pretty good for step 1, but for the other tests they were nowhere near detailed enough. I was actually disappointed in the BRS cards in terms of studying for my course.
I totally agree-- the BRS cards aren't great for studying for the class or the miniboard. They are excellent at getting the buzzwords for the different bugs in your head, but otherwise I thought they were pretty useless. The BRS Micro/Immuno book isn't that great either.
I never found a set of flashcards that I liked. I looked at the lange ones, but they were a little too detailed for a flashcard, IMHO. For my course, I ended up taking the tables in the back of the Ridiculously Simple book, enlarging them up, and adding details. I also loved the Lippincott review book--it has great images and a super succinct review section at the end of the book. It also has these great pages where it summarizes all the bugs that cause a particular symptom/disease. I used it throughout the course and studied almost entirely from it for the miniboard.
Good luck, hope you find something that you like :)