Microbiology and Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Framecontrol

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you all can remember back to your undergraduate days, a little flashback if you will.

I have been accepted to SUNY and will to attending the school in august 2009, wooO!

Yet I have a question regarding microbiology.

SUNY says that it is strongly recommended, and I understand where they are coming from.

Yet I have completed all the credits for my major and have the option of having class 2 days a week and enjoying my last semester filled with electives, or taking microbiology and having class 5 days a week and being a little stresssedd out with waking up at 8:30am and studying my butt off.

So what do you guys think? Take microbio and be well prepared? or take it easy and study extra hard once august comes around? - I have paid my dues and i would like to take a "chilled out" last semester, yet I don't want to put myself in a crappy position later in my education.

Thanks everyone, and all you SUNY pplz out there... see you soon!

👍
-Matt
 
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you all can remember back to your undergraduate days, a little flashback if you will.

I have been accepted to SUNY and will to attending the school in august 2009, wooO!

Yet I have a question regarding microbiology.

SUNY says that it is strongly recommended, and I understand where they are coming from.

Yet I have completed all the credits for my major and have the option of having class 2 days a week and enjoying my last semester filled with electives, or taking microbiology and having class 5 days a week and being a little stresssedd out with waking up at 8:30am and studying my butt off.

So what do you guys think? Take microbio and be well prepared? or take it easy and study extra hard once august comes around? - I have paid my dues and i would like to take a "chilled out" last semester, yet I don't want to put myself in a crappy position later in my education.

Thanks everyone, and all you SUNY pplz out there... see you soon!

👍
-Matt
If you're going to be a full-time student in your last semester anyways, I'd take the class. You've already been accepted to OD school, so don't worry about the grades—you can still take it easy. I'd skip class if you can cover the materials from home too. Like I said, take it easy, but not too easy. If you only have class two days a week before optometry school it may feel a little bit like jumping out of the nice relaxing hot tub into some deep powdery snow once you start at SUNY. I'd take the class just for the exposure to the material. Unless you take an upper level micro class, it shouldn't be super difficult. A lot of people I talked to who took the baseline micro class thought micro was cake. The micro info I gained in the grueling upper-level course (required for the "focus area" of my major) was useful for pharm and some other classes, but like any pre-req., the info really only came up a couple of times. Sort of like o-chem, it may be more important that you stay somewhat in-shape work ethic/mentally leading up to school. Just try not to burn yourself out...judging by your post though, it doesn't look like that'll be a problem for you!:laugh:
 
If you're going to be a full-time student in your last semester anyways, I'd take the class. You've already been accepted to OD school, so don't worry about the grades—you can still take it easy. I'd skip class if you can cover the materials from home too. Like I said, take it easy, but not too easy. If you only have class two days a week before optometry school it may feel a little bit like jumping out of the nice relaxing hot tub into some deep powdery snow once you start at SUNY. I'd take the class just for the exposure to the material. Unless you take an upper level micro class, it shouldn't be super difficult. A lot of people I talked to who took the baseline micro class thought micro was cake. The micro info I gained in the grueling upper-level course (required for the "focus area" of my major) was useful for pharm and some other classes, but like any pre-req., the info really only came up a couple of times. Sort of like o-chem, it may be more important that you stay somewhat in-shape work ethic/mentally leading up to school. Just try not to burn yourself out...judging by your post though, it doesn't look like that'll be a problem for you!:laugh:

Hey buddy, thanks for the advice. I think it will come down to either choosing to do micro bio, or getting myself involved in some other big things that are important to me.

IE)
-making sure the optometry club I established stays around when I am gone.
-put in much more time to the optometry practice consulting company i work for. (Gateway Provider Network)
-do community service (volunteering for lions eye bank etc.)
-putting serious time and effort into learning about setting up my own practice once opt. school is over and taking the necessary steps to get ahead of the game.
-working so to save money for the necessities i will need living in NYC
-just trying to saturate myself into the optometry world in all different ways.
-finish writing my book
-continue learning italian

-enjoying my last semester to the fullest extent possible 👍

I will e-mail SUNY (dr. J) and see what they think about it...

I do know that no matter what I do, I will be able to get right back into the swing of learning extremely hard material and if anything, that a semester break will really motivate me to do that... Re-charge the batteries...

🙂