microbiology vs genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlywurly

hair gel enthusiast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First let me start by saying that I'm not asking any of you to choose my major.

I've narrowed it down to two majors I'm interested in- medical microbiology and immunology or genetics. Having never taken classes in either subject I'm finding it difficult to decide which is the most interesting.

Can any of you provide me with some insight about this? Have you taken any genetics or microbiology classes, and did you enjoy them?

Members don't see this ad.

You would be able to major in MIMG (Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics).
Microbio is fun because you get to learn about bacteria, and what is special about them, and also learn about other stuff... like in Cal, they have mycology as an elective for Microbio majors.
Genetics is interesting, because you get to learn about what makes you you, and how everything is dependent on your genes, environment etc.
Basically, take one of each class, and then that will truly help you decide what you wanna do.

Personally, I prefer microbio...but that's because my Genetics teacher at my university is one of the two complete tools allowed to teach at my university.

He was so horrible it made me dislike genetics (i was previously neutral to it).

That's the problem with such esteemed science schools - they sometimes get guys they want for research but then when they have to teach as well they're worse than my 87 year old 7th grade teacher. :rolleyes: but thats another story..

Members don't see this ad :)
Microbiology and Immunology.

Nothing like studying different diseases and how the body fights them. Makes sense in terms of medicine, doesn't it?

Personally, I prefer microbio...but that's because my Genetics teacher at my university is one of the two complete tools allowed to teach at my university.

He was so horrible it made me dislike genetics (i was previously neutral to it).

That's the problem with such esteemed science schools - they sometimes get guys they want for research but then when they have to teach as well they're worse than my 87 year old 7th grade teacher. :rolleyes: but thats another story..

You also go to the U of A?

I thought both classes were interesting when I took them:).
If you are seriously debating, consider that your micro class will certainly involve a lot of genetics basics (at least on some level) plus you get the fun micro lab...

those majors are both cool! I would say Genetics but it would totally be a personal preference.

my school has one major- biology and then I get to take a lot of stuff that will do me NO good- I wish I could minor in biology but alas that is not an option either.

Good luck deciding!

my MS is heavy in both immunology and genetics, and I find both of them interesting, especially if genetics includes biotechnology.

if I had to choose one of the two, I'd probably go with immunulogy/microbio though. Definitely interesting stuff, and being medically relevant is a plus.

Both are interesting. Both will give you a good background for medical school. It really doesn't matter what we think. If you can, take an intro class in both areas and decide after that. If you really can't decide, ask around and see which program has better profs.

Hmm! That's a tough choice, especially if you haven't taken any of them. As some other posters have said, you might want to take one class in each before declaring a major to figure out what fits you best.

Personally, I liked immunology the best, but we only offer one course in that, so I'm loading up on genetics and microbiology (which are also very enjoyable)!

I'm majoring in microbiology. That should be all you need to hear.

Thanks for all your input. I was looking at the requirements for both majors and a lot of the classes for genetics are microbiology classes, like virology and parasitology. The thing holding me back from microbiology/immunology is that I'd have to take analytical chem and I HATE chemistry. The thing holding me back from genetics is that some of the electives for microbiology/immunology sound like more fun (ex: emerging infectious diseases and bioterrorism :cool:). Decisions, decisions...

I'd rather take one hard class in order to take a bunch of fun classes (emerging viri, parasitology, eukaryotic pathogens, etc) than take a bunch of boring genetics classes where I have to review transcription and translation, etc. every quarter/semester.

I'd rather take one hard class in order to take a bunch of fun classes (emerging viri, parasitology, eukaryotic pathogens, etc) than take a bunch of boring genetics classes where I have to review transcription and translation, etc. every quarter/semester.

Yep. :thumbup:

The thing holding me back from microbiology/immunology is that I'd have to take analytical chem and I HATE chemistry. The thing holding me back from genetics is that some of the electives for microbiology/immunology sound like more fun (ex: emerging infectious diseases and bioterrorism :cool:). Decisions, decisions...

I have been told by about 15 people (except my boyfriend who is getting his PhD in analytical) to avoid analytical chemistry like the plague. This includes my father who was a chem major and multiple chemistry professors, including my organic professor. And a few of my BS chem friends really struggled to simply pass that class.

Would it be possible to major in genetics but take the fun microbio/immunology electives in addition to your major requirements?

I have been told by about 15 people (except my boyfriend who is getting his PhD in analytical) to avoid analytical chemistry like the plague. This includes my father who was a chem major and multiple chemistry professors, including my organic professor. And a few of my BS chem friends really struggled to simply pass that class.

Would it be possible to major in genetics but take the fun microbio/immunology electives in addition to your major requirements?

Hmm, that's what I'm doing here--all done with the regular requirements and mopping up with micro and genetics (but I like genetics so replace that with immunology if you feel the need). :D

You are not, however, giving me hope for next semester where I'll be taking analytical chem. :O Maybe I can balance that with vocal instruction or something....

Also, not that I know much about mol gen, but how many different kinds of jobs can you get with a microbiology major? I can think of tons off the top of my head, but can't think of much beyond a research job with a mol gen degree. This only really matters though should you NOT get into med school, which should be a real and important concern for most anyone.

Also, not that I know much about mol gen, but how many different kinds of jobs can you get with a microbiology major? I can think of tons off the top of my head, but can't think of much beyond a research job with a mol gen degree. This only really matters though should you NOT get into med school, which should be a real and important concern for most anyone.

Hmm, well around here there are a lot of a) biotech firms and b) government funded research. Lots of stuff out there for molgens and micro majors. This is of course region specific.

I've narrowed it down to two majors I'm interested in- medical microbiology and immunology or genetics. Having never taken classes in either subject I'm finding it difficult to decide which is the most interesting.

Can any of you provide me with some insight about this? Have you taken any genetics or microbiology classes, and did you enjoy them?

The med-micro and immunology program at Wisconsin is great. If you are interested you can PM me and I can refer you to a friend who is currently a senior (or maybe a junior) at Madison in that program. She would be able to tell you what its like.

I prefer micro/immuno to genetics. My immuno class I took in college was one of 2 (non-Spanish) classes that really helped me in med school. the immuno class was grad level, so it was a little bit more info than a typical undergrad class, so it was good for med school You'll probably also have an entire semester on micro, but a small section on genetics during biochem.

You also go to the U of A?

I went there! I avoided taking genetics there by taking it when I studied abroad. =) I was in the first or second catalog that made it so we couldn't take plant genetics instead (which was easier).

If you go to UA and major in Gen Bio, that's a useless major for med school, unless your school lets you do ecology and evolution stuff. That's what I studied, but I intended on going into marine bio then a possible PhD in Immunology before I decided on medicine my senior year.