Microbiology

Started by Cju101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The only suggestions I've gotten is to buy a micro textbook. Luckily I'm taking micro this semester so that worked out for me. Borders (and probably other bookstores) have different guides for micro you could go look at without buying. Website wise, I have no idea.
 
I've heard from people that the Cliff's Quick Review for microbiology is pretty good. I'm also taking microbiology this semester, but I got that book anyway and I'm waiting on it to arrive. Sorry I can't give you first-hand advice, though!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it even be worth it to buy a micro book now for the august pcat and try to cram some into my head. I mean...I've studied everything else, and from other posts it seems like there is only 1 or 2 micro questions. In your opinion would it be worth it to buy a micro book, or just make sure Im solid on the chem, bio, and math major concepts.

20% microbiology on pcat ...there are 40 questions in the biology section so that means 8 will be from microbiology...don't stress too much just cover what you feel is important and cover as much as you can thats what i will be doing 😀
 
20% microbiology on pcat ...there are 40 questions in the biology section so that means 8 will be from microbiology...don't stress too much just cover what you feel is important and cover as much as you can thats what i will be doing 😀

Where did you get that 20% number from, just curious.
 
I've never taken microbiology, and I've started to study it from an introduction to microbiology book. It seems like most of it was covered in general biology. So is it really necessary to study for micro? Did anyone not study microbiology and still did well on the biology section?
 
Would it even be worth it to buy a micro book now for the august pcat and try to cram some into my head. I mean...I've studied everything else, and from other posts it seems like there is only 1 or 2 micro questions. In your opinion would it be worth it to buy a micro book, or just make sure Im solid on the chem, bio, and math major concepts.

School libraries often carry a current text. Perhaps your school has a microbio text in reserve.
 
I've never taken microbiology, and I've started to study it from an introduction to microbiology book. It seems like most of it was covered in general biology. So is it really necessary to study for micro? Did anyone not study microbiology and still did well on the biology section?

Don't go too in-depth as there is more microbio that isn't covered in microbio. Basically, a true microbio course will give you a long crash course on many of the microorganisms out there and their basic processes. The PCAT won't ask you to regurgitate this information aside from the obligatory trivia questions about common microorganisms.
 
hey, I'm new to this forum but I've taken the PCAt this June. Never
studies micro but I took the class before! it certainly helped b/c you have to know general information on bacerias and so on