Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detroit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked into a few dental schools and it seems that they require microbiology as a prerequisite course. Do most dental schools have microbiology as a prereq? I think I have seen three or four schools already with that prereq. Thank you :)!

Members don't see this ad.

I think many schools are trying to make sure students are better prepared for dental school classes. If you're not a hard sciences major, then you probably won't take micro. I think it's just another class that a dental school can look at and see if you've proven you can handle d school curriculum. I know some schools are considering biochem as a new requirement. It just depends what that school feels is most important and what classes their current students do poorly in.

It wasnt required by schools that I applied to, but was recommended. I would just take it. In your first year of DS, you probably will have a micro/immunology course and it's nice to be familiar with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's required for OSU and Midwestern... It's a good easy upper level.

Yea for a lotta places I visited so far the general consensus was that microbio and immuno are those courses that are sorta difficult. I feel like if u get an early exposure u def wont be overwhelmed when u get into the real deal

Thanks for those answers guys. I will be graduating in the spring of 2011 and the only upper level classes I have taken is Biochem and genetics. I will not be applying for this years cycle, so I was wondering, would look bad for me to take some other upper level courses at the community college near my home? This way I can be closer to my family and it would cost less. Thank you :)

I've looked into a few dental schools and it seems that they require microbiology as a prerequisite course. Do most dental schools have microbiology as a prereq? I think I have seen three or four schools already with that prereq. Thank you :)!

I know from your name, you've looked at university of michigan's requirement list :) Yes biochem and microbio is a req there.

But my understanding is, microbio is usually only a recommended course for most dental schools.