Microscope camera recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanrs1

Reaction score
I have an Olympus BX46 that I use for every day sign out and an old BH2 multi-headed microscope I use for teaching residents. I would like a recommendation for a microscope camera (and software) I can use to teach residents virtually in the times of Covid-19. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Nikon makes high-quality cameras that are capable of being networked for remote viewing. I don't know what the Olympus offerings are in this regard. You can also mix and match such that you don't need to buy the same manufacturer's camera for their scope as long as a suitable adapter exists. However, this hopefully isn't coming out of your pocket because it's going to be quite expensive irrespective of whatever option you choose - probably no less than $5K for a decent set of options.

Make SURE this going to come out of your pocket if this is ESSENTIAL to your work and the admin or whoever wants some low bid crap. EVERYTHING i had on my scope was mine and it was all the best money could buy. What else would you expect as regards the tool you use DAILY for 30 years!

Don’t let an administrator buy your microscope for god sake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make SURE this going to come out of your pocket if this is ESSENTIAL to your work and the admin or whoever wants some low bid crap. EVERYTHING i had on my scope was mine and it was all the best money could buy. What else would you expect as regards the tool you use DAILY for 30 years!

Don’t let an administrator buy your microscope for god sake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you in principle if said microscope was private practice and I wasn't going to be doing educational stuff with it. However, the OP's post makes it sound like there's either an affiliation or direct employment by an academic department. I would under no circumstance pay for something out of my pocket if I were an academic pathologist. Teaching and all equipment related to educational functions (i.e. non-billable work) is a departmental expense and if they want to buy crappy stuff and its a sub-optimal experience, then that's on them.

On the other hand, my personal microscope has all the good stuff on it because I'm in private practice and I had a say into what goes into it. If the local academic department wanted me to teach remotely, I'd make them pay for the camera and software 100%. If they tell me we're not buying that particular model, I'd say fine but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: 1 user