Microscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartrate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever I try using a microscope I have trouble with the binocular field placement. It seems I can get the field in one eye but not the other. I'm not sure if there are precise terms for this, but what I mean is that I can see through one eyepiece but not the other no matter how I try to rotate the eyepiece. Is there a way to adjust the eyepiece to make this easier? Even if I get it close, I notice that if I shift my head a centimeter or so in any direction one eye field immediately blacks out. This makes viewing the microscope very uncomfortable as I feel like I have to keep my head perfectly still and my eyes wide open lest I lose the binocular field. I have high myopia; I don't know if this changes things.

It's also a problem that I have floaters close to my central vision, and when I look through a microscope they look a lot more prominent causing my eyes to strain quite a bit (feeling like I have to keep my head still and my eyes wide open doesn't help!). Any pathologists out there that have to deal with floaters?

Also on that note, how do you deal with eyestrain in general after doing microscope work all day everyday?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you're using a single position observation head vs three position. I had the former in residency and have been using the latter ever since I've been in practice and the greater adjustability is more comfortable. If you are using single position, it may be out of your hands to get a different one as that is what is provided to you. But, regardless of which type you're using, you're issue seems to be field of view through the ocular or lack thereof.

I would first make sure that your oculars have a standard field of view either by comparing them to other functional microscopes or next time the serviceman/microscope tech which is only once a year though at most institutions. I love talking to these guys, they know so much more about the instrument that we use on a daily basis and every year they come by, I seem to learn something new about the tool of our trade.

Myopia has no effect on the field of view problem that is occurring. Unfortunately, you do have to keep your head relatively still to get adequate visualization from the eyepieces and actually moving it as much as 1 cm can cause you to lose your image i.e. "black out". Check to see if you have high point eyepieces if you don't wear eyeglasses. They are designed for eyeglass users and don't come standard with scopes, but in they are on there, swapping them out for regular ones will allow you to keep your head closer to the eyepieces.

Also, it may seem basic, but proper posture and as perfect a focus of the image as possible is critical. You should see the entire circle of the field of view should be while maintaining a relaxed posture. This prevents physical strain on your body from being in one position for a long time as well as eye fatigue. So check if your diopter adjustment is working and you are achieving optimal focus.

Some people are more sensitive to eyestrain/fatigue than others. Fortunately, at the end of the day I don't have much of a problem so I haven't had to worry about it, but I know of some who have to deal with this more than others. Maybe trying some of the above things may help in your case. As a final resort, you could look into purchasing a microscope headrest to prevent your head from moving. It attaches to the scope and is similar to the ones when you get examined at the optometrist's office.

Reactions: 1 user
This may seem like an obvious question, but maybe you aren't that familiar with microscopes. But have you tried moving the eyepieces laterally? Most microscopes have a way to move them closer together or farther away. Everyone's eyes are set slightly differently, if eyepieces were the same distance apart only a few people could use them correctly.