MICU top 10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellas;

Been out of anesthesiology/ccm fellowship for 3 years now and most of my ICU time has been spent in the CT ICU, CCU, and SICU. I will be picking up some random MICU shifts here and there and I am reaching out to the MICU folks in regards what are some of the most common admissions they see. Need to review some MICU diagnosis/mang't.

Appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Fellas;

Been out of anesthesiology/ccm fellowship for 3 years now and most of my ICU time has been spent in the CT ICU, CCU, and SICU. I will be picking up some random MICU shifts here and there and I am reaching out to the MICU folks in regards what are some of the most common admissions they see. Need to review some MICU diagnosis/mang't.

Appreciate the feedback.

Septic shock, hypoxic/hypercarbic respiratory failure, DKA, GIB, big PE, drug OD, cirrhotics with infections or hepatic encephalopathy, pancreatitis, etc.

95+% of it a good non-MICU intensivist will be fine taking care of. It's when you end up with erlichia, HLH, TTP, pulmonary/renal syndromes or a weird cancer complication when you start to get in a spot where you really need someone who is good with weird medicine stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! We see a decent amount of "MICU" patients in our ICU....we get dumps from other hospitals/ICUs and we are not allowed to decline any tran$fer$ ;)

Thank you! We see a decent amount of "MICU" patients in our ICU....we get dumps from other hospitals/ICUs and we are not allowed to decline any tran$fer$ ;)

Glad to know my place isn't the only one like that. I'm also ACCM and primarily in CVICU/SICU, but our borders are fuzzy. I'll just as easily get a BMT septic shock with ARDS and a GI bleed in addition to my standards (postops and ECMO). Can't say no, the hospitalists are "uncomfortable" taking care of the hypertensive urgency patient or stable GI bleeder, or the ED needs a dispo. Eh. Bring em on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile