Mid-cycle crisis derm applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandoRando

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying dermatology currently and have really started to have doubts that this is what I want to do. I loved ophthalmology, the surgeries, and the people in it and am now seriously regretting not applying for ophtho instead. Any advice on what to do from here?? Should I apply immediately after my prelim year? Should I do my prelim then do a research year prior to applying? Is it possible to dedicate the remainder of the year to connecting with ophthalmology faculty at my school and trying to get some research projects/case reports off the ground? I'm very lost.

For background, I come from a strong medical school with a 260+ step1 score (yet to take step2ck).

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you will match at your choice of Derm Program. It sucks that we need to decide future prior to 4th year of med school, especially for competitive specialties. Doing intern year now, I have utmost respect for people that apply for another residency during PGY1 year, they keep you busy for the most part.

I’m pretty sure you could apply during your prelim year and match successfully if you start making your in-roads now. I’ve met people who are in their intern year who were applying ophtho. If you want to match at a top research program then maybe a research year will benefit you. However, I would make sure you know for sure you want to do ophtho before throwing out your derm match chances. Also- maybe (just maybe) you might be able to scramble into an open spot this year? The ophtho scramble is much different than the eras scramble. I don’t think there are many rules to it other than contacting programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could easily end up in a pre-residency pathology for your gap year if you apply during intern year.

Do what's mentioned above if you really want it. My advice is to stick with Derm. The grass isn't always greener with other specialties. I've had many friends, myself included, that started lusting after other specialties after picking ophthalmology. It's a natural thing to do to think another speciality is awesome with no problems, but in reality there are issues unique to each specialty and different pros/cons. I think Derm is fantastic, and if you are already set up for that I'd do it. That being said, if you're dead set on Ophthalmology and understand you're going to work more hours for less money, with less chance of living where you want to live, than if you did Dermatology then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user