Mid-MAY?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Columbia's Financial Aid booklet, financial aid packages are sent out around mid-May to new students.

Unfortunately, this is right about the time (or even after the time) you have to rescind other acceptances in order to get your deposit back.

Well, that stinks. Do I just have to suck it up and surrender the hope of getting my deposits back? Is anyone else in the same boat? Are other schools' financial aid packages mailed out any earlier?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, my schools FA package wasn't mailed to me until June during my first year. I'd hold onto as many acceptances for as long as you can, the deposit is a small amount compared the differences between packages sometimes. I'd also ask upper years what their fa packages look like, they are usually pretty similar for most students.

How amenable do you think Columbia would be to speeding up the process? Not even so I can get my deposits back at other schools, but I just remembered that my lease runs out at the end of May, and I need to decide whether I'm going to stay here in North Carolina and renew the lease, or if I'm relocating and need to sublet. I don't want to leave my current roomie hanging at the last moment.

Ugh!

You could always try calling the admissions office and asking them to speak with the FA office. You should also ask to speak to the FA counselor who decides who gets what reward. My experience with med school administrations though is that they are slow and unwilling to accomadate anyone even if it just means doing their job.