Middle East Medical School?

BAMD2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I want to be a Non-invasive cardiologist and I'm very interested in studying in the middle east (I'm kinda obsessed with their culture), and I'd like to study both undergrad and medical school there. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Major (or minor) in Middle East Studies here in the US.

As noted above, if you want to work as a physician in the US, it would be a mistake to do your medical school training outside our country. Secondly, cardiology is one of the most competitive internal medicine fellowships, and therefore, you'll need to match into a good IM program; that can be hard to do from a foreign country.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both posters above me. When in college, maybe you can do a summer opportunity their instead. Or if you get into a US medical school, you can see if a summer opportunity or rotation can be done over there. My state medical school had done this in countries such as Japan, South Korea, and some of the pacific islands. So if you are think about practicing as a physician here, you should do your education here.

just curious, where exactly in the middle east would you want to study?

You'll be an IMG, harder to get back in.
Do they have English programs?

You'll be an IMG, harder to get back in.
Do they have English programs?

Yes they do, offered by a US medical school in the middle east.

Search "Cornell University in Qatar". The university, sponsored by Cornell, has a undergrad and medical school. If you go this route, you will still be considered an IMG.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to practice medicine in the US, do not go to school there
I actually don't want to practice in the US, it seems fantasy-like but to me you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it and never take your eyes off the prize. But yeah I really want to work/live in Abu Dhabi or Doha.

just curious, where exactly in the middle east would you want to study?
I actually would like to study in either the UAE or Qatar. Qatar probably being the better option because of Weill Cornell.

I'd still consider staying here, even for the salary aspect.
Here you'll be making a decent amount equivalent to 5 goats a week there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually don't want to practice in the US, it seems fantasy-like but to me you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it and never take your eyes off the prize. But yeah I really want to work/live in Abu Dhabi or Doha.

Have you been to Doha? It's hotter than hell!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been to Doha? It's hotter than hell!
I have not actually, but I love the heat and plus I have an allergy to cold so I don't think I would EVER have to worry about that there haha.

Well if you can if recommend studying in the us, and then going to work there. They hire us physicians frequently in Qatar, UAE, and Saudi. They will give u airfare, a bunch of vacay, housing, and tax free salary. But going to school in the us gives u the option of returning if you get tired of the crappy driving, furnace like heat, and lack of booze

Reactions: 1 user
I actually would like to study in either the UAE or Qatar. Qatar probably being the better option because of Weill Cornell.

Cornell in Qatar has sent a handful of students to hopkins for IM who have subsequently gone on to cardiology fellowship. I have met a handful of these guys and they are incredibly smart. You'd have a better chance of standing out if you went to a US school.

I have the song, "I can show you the world" from Aladdin playing. And yes, fantasy is great when you're young. Not so great when you're trying to find a career.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Getting back into the US will be so hard by the time that you graduate that it'll basically be a non-option.

Don't do it. Getting back into the US will be so hard by the time that you graduate that it'll basically be a non-option.

Actually not true at all. Cornell in Qatar has a 100% match success in the US and a better match list than most US medical schools.

Keep on believing that trend will hold up over the next decade. Also, matching doesn't equal matching well.

You can be skeptical if you wish but their match lists are pretty impressive. They have sent people to places your med school never has including IM at JHH for every year of the last 3 years, surgery at New York Presbyterian, IM at Yale, Vandy and cornell. Is this med school at harvard? No but it is a very strong med school that is basically a branch campus of Cornell.

Actually not true at all. Cornell in Qatar has a 100% match success in the US and a better match list than most US medical schools.
Yeah, bc Qatar can pay for residency spots, as can Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, bc Qatar can pay for residency spots, as can Saudi Arabia.

I'm pretty sure Qatar does not pay for those spots. The students earn them. Its like Duke-NUS, a top medical school in another country.

I'm pretty sure Qatar does not pay for those spots. The students earn them. Its like Duke-NUS, a top medical school in another country.
Of the 34 students of the Class of 2014, 25 sought and secured matches on residency programs in the United States. Two students were accepted to residency programs at Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) and seven are pursuing a variety of alternative activities next year.
With a class of 34 students, the 7 that "pursued a variety of alternative activities" could very well have been people that weren't strong enough to match and thus were discouraged from applying and encouraged to pursue things outside the match to boost their application. It is likely that all 9 of the people who did not go into the US match will never practice i n the US, as every year you do not enter the match generally substantially hurts your app (with few exceptions).

This was also the first time they ever matched 100% of students that applied. Historically, they never broke the 90% barrier until last year.

I'm not saying it's a bad school, as it seems decent for an international school, but it is still not a US school and you will be an IMG no matter what your diploma says. That will hurt your app in the early-to-mid 2020s when the number of residency slots starts to approach the number of US MD and DO grads. You can't fight the math, so I don't recommend trying.

Of the 34 students of the Class of 2014, 25 sought and secured matches on residency programs in the United States. Two students were accepted to residency programs at Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) and seven are pursuing a variety of alternative activities next year.
With a class of 34 students, the 7 that "pursued a variety of alternative activities" could very well have been people that weren't strong enough to match and thus were discouraged from applying and encouraged to pursue things outside the match to boost their application. It is likely that all 9 of the people who did not go into the US match will never practice i n the US, as every year you do not enter the match generally substantially hurts your app (with few exceptions).

This was also the first time they ever matched 100% of students that applied. Historically, they never broke the 90% barrier until last year.

I'm not saying it's a bad school, as it seems decent for an international school, but it is still not a US school and you will be an IMG no matter what your diploma says. That will hurt your app in the early-to-mid 2020s when the number of residency slots starts to approach the number of US MD and DO grads. You can't fight the math, so I don't recommend trying.

Its quite a difficult school to get in averaging a 34 MCAT or something like that. Its quite possible that some of the students may be taking a year off to improve their application. But I agree those people who pursued alternative activities likely weren't good enough to match.

Yes it is not a US MD school. But I hate to tell you this place will out compete every DO school. Hell it already has in the first few years of existence. No DO school has ever sent anyone to the places this school has. No DO school has EVER sent residents to IM at Cornell or Vandy or Hopkins or Surgery at Cornell to name a few. So places like this, Hopkins in Malasia, Duke NUS are going to be treated more like US schools that you would like to believe.

In terms of the variety of alternative activities does sound sketchy but that others matched so well belies the idea that people couldnt match or were prevented from trying. Remember that these are not US citizens. They are from Egypt, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc so not everyone wants to come to the US.

Yes it is not a US MD school. But I hate to tell you this place will out compete every DO school. Hell it already has in the first few years of existence. No DO school has ever sent anyone to the places this school has. No DO school has EVER sent residents to IM at Cornell or Vandy or Hopkins or Surgery at Cornell to name a few. So places like this, Hopkins in Malasia, Duke NUS are going to be treated more like US schools that you would like to believe.

In terms of the variety of alternative activities does sound sketchy but that others matched so well belies the idea that people couldnt match or were prevented from trying. Remember that these are not US citizens. They are from Egypt, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc so not everyone wants to come to the US.
In the end, I really doubt that once the number of US graduates exceeds the number of residency positions available, that graduates of this school will match nearly as well as they are now. They've done well with an extremely small, well selected class for the last two years, but I would reserve calling them an outright success until things get tighter. Duke-NUS is a whole 'nother issue- the commitment to work in Singapore for 5 years will likely substantially affect future grads. And who knows what the future holds for DOs- I'd still bet quite a bit of money that their outcomes will be better once push comes to shove.

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if, once things get down to there being parity between US grads and residency spots, politicians didn't push for a bill that tied program funding to placing US grads into residency first. There's already some draft stuff in the works and it's become a priority item for the AOA, can't wait to see how it plays out.

In the end, I really doubt that once the number of US graduates exceeds the number of residency positions available, that graduates of this school will match nearly as well as they are now. They've done well with an extremely small, well selected class for the last two years, but I would reserve calling them an outright success until things get tighter. Duke-NUS is a whole 'nother issue- the commitment to work in Singapore for 5 years will likely substantially affect future grads. And who knows what the future holds for DOs- I'd still bet quite a bit of money that their outcomes will be better once push comes to shove.

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if, once things get down to there being parity between US grads and residency spots, politicians didn't push for a bill that tied program funding to placing US grads into residency first. There's already some draft stuff in the works and it's become a priority item for the AOA, can't wait to see how it plays out.

First, there are never going to be fewer residency positions than US graduates.

Second, If this school already outcompetes many US schools, why would things change when the competition gets more fierce?