Middle School Gifted Students Taking the SAT

Started by deleted212936
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Taking the SAT in middle school was just a standard thing at my school and the others, private and public, in the Kansas City area. Call me naive, but I assumed that was the case everywhere. I did well enough that I probably didn't need to take it again in high school, but I still went to college at a normal age and all that jazz. In other words, I don't think there's going to be a whole lot coming out of that.
 
Standard??????? Are you serious????? I thought those cases were very rare...
Hey, if you did well enough when you were in middle school, would you be allowed to enter college at that time, or would you have to complete 12th grade ?
Btw, have you heard of John Hopkins' SET program? I mean, if gifted students can enter college, then what's the mission of SET? Does it help in any way?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://resources.prufrock.com/Gifte...le-School-Gifted-Students-Taking-the-SAT.aspx

hey guys, though the websites don't say it (or I might as well have missed it), but after those kids get in special gifted programs, what next?

Beats me. I go to school in the ghetto--no one goes to college around here.

However, I assume that since all colleges (with the exception of Harvard) require a high school diploma/GED, getting a good SAT score wouldn't launch you right into college. Your parents might want to consider pushing you up a grade or two, but I'm sure you've all heard of what happens to those kids who go to college at 12. :meanie: Dungeons & Dragons.

Also, I believe that students under the age of 15 take a different SAT, if they sign up for it. It's supposed to be geared towards younger ages, which might have been what MilkmanAl took.
 
Standard??????? Are you serious????? I thought those cases were very rare...
Apparently they are if only ~100000 students are doing it each year. I just never knew any different. I don't believe "Did you take the SAT in middle school?" is a question I've ever even considered asking anyone.
Hey, if you did well enough when you were in middle school, would you be allowed to enter college at that time, or would you have to complete 12th grade ?
I'm not sure, but I have no idea why anyone would want to skip high school. Puberty is awkward enough when everyone goes through it together. Can you imagine what that would be like if you the only one going through it amongst a bunch of people who'd already mostly matured? That sounds like a recipe for scarring teenage years and eternal social awkwardness to me.

Btw, have you heard of John Hopkins' SET program? I mean, if gifted students can enter college, then what's the mission of SET? Does it help in any way?
I've heard of it. All those talent searches were on my ass like a bad hemorrhoid. From what I gather, they help you getting into their parent institutions immensely if you participate in them and impress. They might help you get into other colleges also. Other than that, I think they're probably pretty useless.

Also, I believe that students under the age of 15 take a different SAT, if they sign up for it. It's supposed to be geared towards younger ages, which might have been what MilkmanAl took.
That's entirely possible, I guess, but I'm reasonably certain it was the actual SAT. I dunno, though. It's a bit hard to remember tests I took 12 years ago. 😛
 
I took the ACT in the 7th grade. I got a high enough score to get into those programs for gifted kids and passed the bar for my big state university. (But I went to college at the normal time!) Anyway, I did TIP (Talent Identification Program) at Duke after 7th, 8th, and 9th grade and then the Brown FOCUS Program after 10th. I took Algebra II (boring), Shakespeare and Performance (at the time I was too shy to enjoy the performance part), International Relations (awesome trip to DC where I visited 6 embassies--Saudi Arabia, Isreal, China, Poland, and a couple of others I don't remember), and then at BROWN some economics thing (we were allowed off campus, so I mostly partied). Anyway, I ended up going to Duke for undergrad after all. I don't know if TIP helped me get in or not, but at least I was familiar with the university area. The programs are fun and if you guys have any younger brothers and sisters, I'd highly recommend them. (Brown had a class entitled "So you think you want to be a doctor?")