"midlevel anesthesia providers"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALG

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for all of you anesthesiologists, but before I begin, please understand that I have high regard for your profession and my questions are aimed at some criticisms I have read with regards to the profession of nurse anesthesia. I believe that most anesthesiologists coexist peacefully with nurse anesthetists and that these two groups provide excellent care in a collaborative environment across the country. I am applying for CRNA school and it is saddening to see the strife and conflict between these two professions.

1. Why do people refer to CRNAs as mid-level providers? As I understand it, CRNAs are allowed in many states to practice independant. In these situations, the CRNA is the sole provider.

2. What is wrong with nursing practice doctorates? I have read several posts where this is criticized as being a way for the CRNA to gain and use the title "doctor" but I am also reading a lot of posts that criticize the masters-level training as being inadequate. What would you prefer, masters-level CRNAs who are "undertrained" in your view or doctorate level CRNAs who have obnoxious titles? Seems to me that CRNAs are pretty much screwed any way you cut it. What is your solution?

3. What would you suggest be done to bring CRNA training up to your standards so that CRNAs were qualified to practice independantly?

4. White coats: what is the deal with the "holy white coat"? I have noticed that people on this website are commenting on how many people are now wearing these atrocious things and that MDs are no longer the sole wearers of this prized posession. My theory is that the white coat harbors a bunch of infection and usually isn't very "white", rather an off shade of yellow. Does it really matter who wears this stupid thing?

Well, that about covers my questions. Responses are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just stick this right into the BURN BIN, please.

Everyone, please don't bother responding.

PLEASE resist the urge to feed this troll.

OP: In case you're not trolling, there are numerous other threads on this forum that already address your questions. Do a search.

-copro

I have some questions for all of you anesthesiologists, but before I begin, please understand that I have high regard for your profession and my questions are aimed at some criticisms I have read with regards to the profession of nurse anesthesia. I believe that most anesthesiologists coexist peacefully with nurse anesthetists and that these two groups provide excellent care in a collaborative environment across the country. I am applying for CRNA school and it is saddening to see the strife and conflict between these two professions.

1. Why do people refer to CRNAs as mid-level providers? As I understand it, CRNAs are allowed in many states to practice independant. In these situations, the CRNA is the sole provider.

2. What is wrong with nursing practice doctorates? I have read several posts where this is criticized as being a way for the CRNA to gain and use the title "doctor" but I am also reading a lot of posts that criticize the masters-level training as being inadequate. What would you prefer, masters-level CRNAs who are "undertrained" in your view or doctorate level CRNAs who have obnoxious titles? Seems to me that CRNAs are pretty much screwed any way you cut it. What is your solution?

3. What would you suggest be done to bring CRNA training up to your standards so that CRNAs were qualified to practice independantly?

4. White coats: what is the deal with the "holy white coat"? I have noticed that people on this website are commenting on how many people are now wearing these atrocious things and that MDs are no longer the sole wearers of this prized posession. My theory is that the white coat harbors a bunch of infection and usually isn't very "white", rather an off shade of yellow. Does it really matter who wears this stupid thing?

Well, that about covers my questions. Responses are appreciated.

CRNAs are nurses not physicians. Even if they practice independently in certain states, this does not mean they are equivalent to physicians. Anyone that thinks so is a fool, like the many politicians that have granted CRNAs these rights. Because they are not equivalent, CRNAs are by definition midlevels. If you desire more training: go to medical school, complete residency, and become an anesthesiologist. Only then will you be at our standards for independent practice. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.