midlevel scope of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powermd

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a social worker, or masters-level couselor diagnose a client with a psychiatric condition? If one of the above tells a patient they have a particular psychiatric disorder, GAD for example, are they practicing medicine without a licence, or behaving unethically/unprofessionally?

Members don't see this ad.

Federal law states a psychologist or a psychiatrist must Dx a psychiatric condition, but this is being challenged by LCSW's presently. State laws vary, but I do not think anyone besides LCSWs (some cases) and psychs can legally Dx a psychiatric disorder. However it happens all the time for insurance reimbursement by non-psych MD's, and LCSW/MA level counsellors. For the sake of insurance reimbursement the laws will ikely continue to loosen, but clinically it is a bad idea. :)

psisci said:
Federal law states a psychologist or a psychiatrist must Dx a psychiatric condition, but this is being challenged by LCSW's presently. State laws vary, but I do not think anyone besides LCSWs (some cases) and psychs can legally Dx a psychiatric disorder. However it happens all the time for insurance reimbursement by non-psych MD's, and LCSW/MA level counsellors. For the sake of insurance reimbursement the laws will ikely continue to loosen, but clinically it is a bad idea. :)

Any physician can technically diagnose a psychiatric disorder, just as a psychiatrist can technically diagnose hypertension or DMII.

I agree, and it should be that way. I was just stating what the laws say, and the fed law says psychiatrist or psychologist. It probably should say physician or psych, but does not. :)