Midwest gyn onc referral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for strong Midwest gyn onc department, or physician for referral? Trying to help young woman who thought she was undergoing removal of a teratoma that was found to have what appears to be ovarian cancer adherent to bowel, abdominal wall, etc. (Tumor markers were not run as of yet). Surgery was aborted in favor of referral to outside center. She is considering Mayo, places in Chicago, Cleveland, IU, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Midwest is a broad area. I'm sure any of those places you mentioned in the last line would all be fine.

Regardless, her primary answer is going to be full systemic staging, if unresectable based on imaging, then neoadjuvant chemotherapy (assuming path confirmation of ovarian) and secondary debulking. So get started on what you can now while you're figuring out where to send her.

WashU

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that's a common clinical scenario.
she should go to any large hospital that is within driving distance

Reactions: 1 user
Where in the Midwest?

There are gyn onc fellowship programs in:
IA: University of Iowa
IL: Northwestern, University of Chicago
KS: University of Kansas
MI: Wayne State
MN: Univ of Minnesota, Mayo
MO: Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, Ohio State
WI: Univ of Wisc, Medical College of Wisconsin

Maybe try one of these for starters.

Reactions: 1 user
that's a common clinical scenario.
she should go to any large hospital that is within driving distance
I was thinking the same. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just start at the closest Gyn Onc and see what they think.

That’s a very small field even compared to Rad Onc I imagine if her case is “too complex” they will know the best guy/gal to send her to.

I was thinking the same. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just start at the closest Gyn Onc and see what they think.

That’s a very small field even compared to Rad Onc I imagine if her case is “too complex” they will know the best guy/gal to send her to.
Our field is getting larger unfortunately.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Where in the Midwest?

There are gyn onc fellowship programs in:
IA: University of Iowa
IL: Northwestern, University of Chicago
KS: University of Kansas
MI: Wayne State
MN: Univ of Minnesota, Mayo
MO: Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, Ohio State
WI: Univ of Wisc, Medical College of Wisconsin

Maybe try one of these for starters.
Cleveland Clinic has excellent throughput for cancer patients, especially in Gyn and they have excellent surgeons, if she can swing it I’d send her there;