TheThirdLevel

7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Trying to explore anesthesia a bit more as a field, i've totally been up in the air about what I want to do but I think this field appeals to a lot of what I enjoy.

Step 1 - 233
Preclinical - Mix of H and P (H/P/F system)
Research - 1st author pub in unrelated field, few posters from undergrad (nothing anesthesia related)
ECs - Leadership in a few clubs, no anesthesia involvement (red flag?)

Obviously my goal is to try to rock M3 rotations and Step 2, but what are my current chances for academic programs in the midwest? I don't know much about any specific programs. I would guess the "top tier" ones I am looking at are Northwestern, UMich, UChicago and Cleveland Clinic . Also curious about Cincinnati, Beaumont, Henry Ford and Ohio Stat. Would I be a competitive candidate at any of these, and do they have any reputations in terms of quality?

I am also going to try to get started on a research project in the field when I can. Does research matter for anesthesia?

Wiscoblue

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Which state do you plan to settle in? Try for a spot in that state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

camedstudent23

ASA Member
Nov 27, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'd be fine anywhere in the midwest. MI, IL or OH most likely.
Unless you do an away or have some crazy connections, Chicago/Northwestern are out. Michigan interviews so many people and lots of people don't want to live in Ann Arbor, so you have a slight chance there. Even less people want to live in Cleveland, so you have a 50/50 shot there probably. You should get interviews at the other 4. Note that if you are in med school in Michigan or Ohio or Illinois, that will make it more likely for you to get an interview in that state's programs AS LONG AS your program has a good rep.

Reactions: AdmiralChz

NotFrankUnderwood

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Unless you do an away or have some crazy connections, Chicago/Northwestern are out. Michigan interviews so many people and lots of people don't want to live in Ann Arbor, so you have a slight chance there. Even less people want to live in Cleveland, so you have a 50/50 shot there probably. You should get interviews at the other 4. Note that if you are in med school in Michigan or Ohio or Illinois, that will make it more likely for you to get an interview in that state's programs AS LONG AS your program has a good rep.
This is 100 %not true I know people who have gotten interviews at both Chicago and northwestern with lower step scores and similar grades with no aways. Op you need to apply everywhere you want to go and see what happens

Aug 25, 2016
This is 100 %not true I know people who have gotten interviews at both Chicago and northwestern with lower step scores and similar grades with no aways. Op you need to apply everywhere you want to go and see what happens
Agree.

I was similar (and from a DO school). 230's step one, did better on two and three. Wasn't head of anything in med school or a research rockstar. I visited NW, U Chi, Ohio State, Cincy, CCF. I didn't end up at any of them, but I sure wouldn't have been disappointed if I did. Never applied to UofM, but have heard great things (no personal friends, but just through the grapevine).I know people that have gone through NW, U Chi, OSU, and Cincy. They weren't rockstars with 260's either. Just work hard, do better on step 2/3, and be a normal genuine person on interviews.

Overall, I'd say people overlook the midwest and look more towards the coasts. I have zero data to back this up, but I bet your average residency on the west coast has higher step scores than some of the best training programs in the Midwest. If you want to stay in the Midwest, you will be fine. Just work hard, learn something everyday, and be a team player.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
Cleveland Clinic: They will work you hard but the final product is solid. All you need are average Step Scores and a lot of motivation to be a rock-star gas passer.

Midwest has a lot of solid programs; if you can deal with the harsh winter weather then my advice is to match at one of those programs.

It wasn't too long ago that Pitt took average Step score candidates and graduated outstanding Anesthesiologists from a superb program.

Man o War

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2015
I'd be fine anywhere in the midwest. MI, IL or OH most likely.
I have friends/partners from U of M, Ohio State, and CCF and all are extremely good and spoke highly of their programs.
If you're looking in the Midwest I read that Indiana is one of the better states in the country for salaries and malpractice environment. Tennessee is good too.

OP
T

TheThirdLevel

7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Appreciate all the input. Are away rotations suggested in anesthesia? I haven't showed much interest in the field due to lack of exposure, should I try to get involved on an anesthesia research project to help bolster my app?

Reactions: IkeBoy18

anes121508

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Appreciate all the input. Are away rotations suggested in anesthesia? I haven't showed much interest in the field due to lack of exposure, should I try to get involved on an anesthesia research project to help bolster my app?
I did away rotations and really like them. Loyola is where I went and had a good experience. Go on the program websites and find the application for the aways. There are some really great Midwest programs and aways a great way to meet the people there and show interest.