Midwestern and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was able to use the military scholarship towards Midwestern University or, for that matter, any new dental school?

I am in the process of applying for HPSP and my recruiter brought up that it could not be used for non-accredited schools. I explained to her that I applied(and actually would love to go) to Midwestern university and that it has only received initial accreditation. It will receive full accredidation once the inaugural class graduates.

She checked with someone about that and then let me know that the scholarship could not be used at Midwestern. I even forwarded her the email that the ADA wrote me when I inquired on whether or not there was any possibility for them to not be fully accredited- the answer was basically no.

I am slightly confused on this matter because I have a friend in medical school that went to a brand-new med school and didn't have any problems getting the scholarship. Did she possibly just ask the wrong person or are there other students out there that were denied as well? I would love to go to Midwestern, but with the $200,000+ tuition, I would HAVE to received the Navy scholarship.

Feedback appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it can be used for Midwestern. Midwestern has lots of their students on HPSP, and if/when you interview there, they harp on how great the HPSP scholarship is. Midwestern is a very military friendly school.

Your recruiter doesn't know what they're talking about. (no big surprise)

Make sure you mention your intention on doing HPSP and servicing america in the military. Midwestern loves military students simply because a lot of their deans and faculty are prior service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it can be used for Midwestern. Midwestern has lots of their students on HPSP, and if/when you interview there, they harp on how great the HPSP scholarship is. Midwestern is a very military friendly school.

Your recruiter doesn't know what they're talking about. (no big surprise)

What about Midwestern at IL?

I interviewed at 8 schools, and every single one was military friendly. What you will find out is that many schools have faculty that are retired/former military dentists. Nearly every financial aid session that you will attend during an interview will tell you about HPSP opportunities and how phenomenal the deal is, especially if you are going to a higher priced private school.

I would HIGHLY doubt that there would be any school that wouldn't be 'military friendly', including the new Midwestern in IL.