Midwestern CCP vs Midwestern Glendale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Breathe_Easy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow pharmacy friends,

I am wondering if any of you have any input/opinions/comments about Midwestern CCP or Glendale that would be of interest to note. I have received an interview invitation for both campuses and want to get some of your opinions about what you like/dislike about these campuses. I know the Glendale campus does a 3 year format vs CCP which does the standard 4 year, any comments about the 3 year program? Any comments or input is greatly appreciated!

Also, I know there are a bunch of threads on this already, but they were pretty dated (2005) so I want to see if anything has changed since.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PS2 at CCP here. I can't speak for the Glendale program, but I'm really enjoying my time in Downers Grove (and my Summers off!). I can tell you that CCP is in the middle of changing the curriculum for the class of 2020 and that the goal is to condense classes a bit so you start your fourth year rotations sooner, and come 2020, you'll actually graduate in March opposed to May that year (and in theory get licensed sooner than grads from other schools that year). I guess that would be irrelevant if you chose a three year program because you would have graduated in 2019, but just some food for thought. If you have any questions about CCP, feel free to ask.

PS2 at CCP here. I can't speak for the Glendale program, but I'm really enjoying my time in Downers Grove (and my Summers off!). I can tell you that CCP is in the middle of changing the curriculum for the class of 2020 and that the goal is to condense classes a bit so you start your fourth year rotations sooner, and come 2020, you'll actually graduate in March opposed to May that year (and in theory get licensed sooner than grads from other schools that year). I guess that would be irrelevant if you chose a three year program because you would have graduated in 2019, but just some food for thought. If you have any questions about CCP, feel free to ask.

How much is the average rent in the downers grove area?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on where you live and if you have roommates. My first year, I lived on campus because it was cheaper than living somewhere alone (in a place that I wanted to live in) and had a private room and bathroom. It was around $1,100 a month. If you share a bathroom with someone, the price is cheaper. Now I have a roommate and live in one of the nicer apartment complexes. We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and it's about $900/mo for rent, then utilities. I know there's plenty of places you can live much cheaper, but it depends on how far you want to live from campus, what amenities you want, etc. You can find places with rent in the $600 range if you look hard enough.

It really depends on where you live and if you have roommates. My first year, I lived on campus because it was cheaper than living somewhere alone (in a place that I wanted to live in) and had a private room and bathroom. It was around $1,100 a month. If you share a bathroom with someone, the price is cheaper. Now I have a roommate and live in one of the nicer apartment complexes. We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and it's about $900/mo for rent, then utilities. I know there's plenty of places you can live much cheaper, but it depends on how far you want to live from campus, what amenities you want, etc. You can find places with rent in the $600 range if you look hard enough.

Thanks, great insight, I appreciate it. How about as far as classes go, what is the normal day like, the hours spent in a day in class? Also, is it Monday Friday, including summer?

Wow that is insane. I pay 600 with everything included in a downtown setting where I'm at now. Cost of living over in Chicago is not cheap though I imagine. I'm going to interviews on both campuses so I guess I have a hard decision to make eventually (hopefully).

Yeah, cost of living is definitely expensive over here and a factor to consider when choosing a school.

The Chicago area definitely has more residency sites than the Glendale area, but you also gotta keep in mind that there's 5 pharmacy schools around Chicago, so lots of competition. But CCP students haven't had any issues getting residencies- we're pretty on par with the other schools in the area.

Thanks, great insight, I appreciate it. How about as far as classes go, what is the normal day like, the hours spent in a day in class? Also, is it Monday Friday, including summer?

Sorry! I somehow missed this post earlier. Depending on the day, you're in class/lab/workshop for anywhere from 3 (on the rare light day) to 7-8 hours (longer when you have exam days). It's Monday-Friday, but Summers are off which is great. :)

The Chicago area definitely has more residency sites than the Glendale area, but you also gotta keep in mind that there's 5 pharmacy schools around Chicago, so lots of competition. But CCP students haven't had any issues getting residencies- we're pretty on par with the other schools in the area.
Yeah I just looked up the placement rate, it's much higher in Chicago than in Glendale. That's going to be a huge deciding factor for me. I'm so excited to interview at both these campuses!!!

Reactions: 1 user