Midwestern CCP vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there deciding between these two? If so, what are your conclusions so far?

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Althought I don't attend either school, I have friends at both and from what I know from my own research and from what I have heard, UIC is a very strong and well established program. I think your choice of school might come down to what you ultimately want to do when you graduate, UIC seems to be more clinically focused where as Midwestern seems to be more retail oriented. If it were my choice I would go with UIC because of cost and because UIC seems to offer more clinically oriented possibilities.

Best of luck!

freshbeatschris said:
Anyone else out there deciding between these two? If so, what are your conclusions so far?

Chris

Bump.

I was also wondering what peoples opinions were.

ButlerPharm.D. Does it matter what school you went to when you apply for residencies? Because I thought I saw on a webpage some Midwestern students at University of Illinois Hospital residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not really. Most people would agree that residency programs look more closely at your clerkship choices than they do what school you attend.

freshbeatschris said:

Chris

Did you get accepted to UIC? If you are in Chicago now and plan to stay there, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the less expensive school? I guess if I had to choose between the two I would pick UIC. But hey, money isn't everything.

calrx said:
Did you get accepted to UIC? If you are in Chicago now and plan to stay there, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the less expensive school? I guess if I had to choose between the two I would pick UIC. But hey, money isn't everything.

No, I have not been accepted to UIC. They don't mail out invites for invitations until the end of this month.

Originally, I thought the cheaper school would be better just for that reason alone, but after attending the MCV at Midwestern, I am thinking differently.

I was just curious to see what factors others are considering between these two schools.

Chris

I was very impressed with Midwestern CCP and after the interview I got really excited to go there. As somebody in this forum said earlier, CCP focuses more in community care and if that's what you really want, just go for CCP.
The reason I am still considering UIC though is that they have a research focus and I would like to explore that as I still don't know which path I will take. At UIC, if I later on decide to become a community pharmacist, I will have the option in studying clinical care, but if I want to opt for research and teaching, UIC offers that too. Also, for some might be a disadvantage, but the pharmacy school being with the undergrad and other professional schools together, I see more opportunities to experience new things and interact closely with other professions. For example, with a school hospital nearby, you have more resources to learn, to practice and even to work.
The other reason is that UIC is cheaper and for me, the cost of tuition is an important factor when deciding which school to go to.
I think I would choose UIC because I believe that's the best fit for me.

chichan said:
I was very impressed with Midwestern CCP and after the interview I got really excited to go there. As somebody in this forum said earlier, CCP focuses more in community care and if that's what you really want, just go for CCP.
The reason I am still considering UIC though is that they have a research focus and I would like to explore that as I still don't know which path I will take. At UIC, if I later on decide to become a community pharmacist, I will have the option in studying clinical care, but if I want to opt for research and teaching, UIC offers that too. Also, for some might be a disadvantage, but the pharmacy school being with the undergrad and other professional schools together, I see more opportunities to experience new things and interact closely with other professions. For example, with a school hospital nearby, you have more resources to learn, to practice and even to work.
The other reason is that UIC is cheaper and for me, the cost of tuition is an important factor when deciding which school to go.
I think I would choose UIC because I believe that's the best fit for me.

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it. I wish we could know more about the professors from each school before we make a choice.

One other big point to consider is that Midwestern is on the quarter system, while UIC is on semester system.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it. I wish we could know more about the professors from each school before we make a choice.

One other big point to consider is that Midwestern is on the quarter system, while UIC is on semester system.

Chris

Yeah, I kind of prefer the quarter system better. Also Midwestern offers the accelerated graduation option which is really tempting. For those who are undecided, look at the core curriculum of each school and that will give you an idea of what to expect.
Oh by the way, did you see the email from UIC saying that are just starting looking at the applications? My heart almost jumped out when I saw an email from them in my inbox coz I was expecting to see either an invitation or rejection email..ufff :p

chichan said:
Oh by the way, did you see the email from UIC saying that are just starting looking at the applications? My heart almost jumped out when I saw an email from them in my inbox coz I was expecting to see either an invitation or rejection email..ufff :p

Same Here!!! That was painful. I presumed they would be looking at our applications eventually. Maybe they just did that to let us know they received our supplemental.

A couple more weeks and we will get "the other email."

Good Luck!

Chris

One of my friends that goes to Midwestern said she forgot how to take notes because they hand out packets before each class that contain all the notes.

I saw your thread and thought I would post.

Currently I do research at the college of pharmacy at UIC and I love the school. I have had the greatest interraction with the professors and even the current pharmacy students. I think one of the advantages of UIC is that they have people involved in almost every aspect of pharmacy...including research, pharmacy management, economics, etc. I just think there is a HUGE amount of opportunity at UIC.

But, since my girlfriend went to Midwestern I know it is a good school as well.

PbintoAu said:
I saw your thread and thought I would post.

Currently I do research at the college of pharmacy at UIC and I love the school. I have had the greatest interraction with the professors and even the current pharmacy students. I think one of the advantages of UIC is that they have people involved in almost every aspect of pharmacy...including research, pharmacy management, economics, etc. I just think there is a HUGE amount of opportunity at UIC.

But, since my girlfriend went to Midwestern I know it is a good school as well.

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate hearing from someone who is working there. I'm curious why your girlfriend chose Midwestern over UIC. Is she currently working in the field? If so, in what capacity, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your input.

Chris

ButlerPharm.D. said:
One of my friends that goes to Midwestern said she forgot how to take notes because they hand out packets before each class that contain all the notes.

That actually sounds nice, the packets that is. I think if you already have the main material in front of you, you can add things that will help you to understand and retain the material better.

Other than the notes, what does she like/dislike about the program there?

Chris

Chris,

My girlfriend chose Midwestern for a few reasons: 1) she was turned off by the attitude and frustration that dealing with UIC's administration caused. They are sometimes hard to deal with, very "not my problem try another department" 2) she thought midwestern was more of a community atmosphere. She felt paying the additional money was ok b/c she did better than she would have at UIC. 3) Midwestern is more modern. UIC's facilities are old...not that it really mattered education wise she just felt the school was set up better so she had a chance to interract with people vs being in the dungeon. 4) she didnt want to do research so she felt Midwestern was a good school for someone interested in doing retail. if she wanted to do research she would have chosen uic b/c research is all about name recognition and what types of projects you worked on.

Currently my gf is working at Target, she loves it. Hope that helps!

PbintoAu said:
Chris,

My girlfriend chose Midwestern for a few reasons: 1) she was turned off by the attitude and frustration that dealing with UIC's administration caused. They are sometimes hard to deal with, very "not my problem try another department" 2) she thought midwestern was more of a community atmosphere. She felt paying the additional money was ok b/c she did better than she would have at UIC. 3) Midwestern is more modern. UIC's facilities are old...not that it really mattered education wise she just felt the school was set up better so she had a chance to interract with people vs being in the dungeon. 4) she didnt want to do research so she felt Midwestern was a good school for someone interested in doing retail. if she wanted to do research she would have chosen uic b/c research is all about name recognition and what types of projects you worked on.

Currently my gf is working at Target, she loves it. Hope that helps!

This definitely helps. Thank you so much for the information.

Chris

I"m currently a PS-3 at Midwestern-CCP and I absolutely love it. I transferred from University of Toledo College of Pharmacy. Eventhough I lost a year, I'm really happy with the decision I made. CCP faculty and staff are great. They really want their students to do well. Midwestern in general is a great university because my husband is a medical student there and he loves it too.

I hope I've helped you.

pharmgurl07
Class of 2007

Pharmgurl07 said:
I"m currently a PS-3 at Midwestern-CCP and I absolutely love it. I transferred from University of Toledo College of Pharmacy. Eventhough I lost a year, I'm really happy with the decision I made. CCP faculty and staff are great. They really want their students to do well. Midwestern in general is a great university because my husband is a medical student there and he loves it too.

I hope I've helped you.

pharmgurl07
Class of 2007

May I ask why you chose to transfer from Toledo?

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
May I ask why you chose to transfer from Toledo?

Chris

Oh I transferred because it was too hard living apart from my husband who was attending MWU's medical school.

midwestern hands down, uic is frustrating to deal with