Midwestern CCP vs UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm2384

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding whether to go to UIC or Midwestern CCP, can anybody shed some light on the major differences between the two? please, even if you are very biased toward one school I would like to hear why i should chose one over the other.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're Illinois resident, then go with UIC since the tuition will be a lot cheaper for you.

Choose UIC so I can get into CCP from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Choose UIC, it's cheaper!

plus, then maybe I can get off CCPs alternate list and be accepted!

This is what I have heard from students at both schools. If you ultimately want to practice in a community setting Midwestern is a good school. It is a lot more expensive. Even for out-of-state students UIC is cheaper than Midwestern. Midwestern's campus is very pretty, the buildings are great, their facilities are wonderful. And the environment for both are so different - Midwestern is in the 'burbs, UIC in the city. UIC's graduates have always performed well compared to state and national averages on the NAPLEX. Considering also UIC's academic reputation in medicine, etc. there will be more opportunities when you do rotations. Also, UIC is known to prepare you more in-depth for clinical practice.

Sorry, all jumbled up in my description up there, but I think UIC is a pretty good choice. =)

This is what I have heard from students at both schools. If you ultimately want to practice in a community setting Midwestern is a good school. It is a lot more expensive. Even for out-of-state students UIC is cheaper than Midwestern. Midwestern's campus is very pretty, the buildings are great, their facilities are wonderful. And the environment for both are so different - Midwestern is in the 'burbs, UIC in the city. UIC's graduates have always performed well compared to state and national averages on the NAPLEX. Considering also UIC's academic reputation in medicine, etc. there will be more opportunities when you do rotations. Also, UIC is known to prepare you more in-depth for clinical practice.

Sorry, all jumbled up in my description up there, but I think UIC is a pretty good choice. =)

This is not true at all! Anyone who thinks that MWU only prepares you for community is VERY misinformed.

Midwestern has sent more students to residency programs (including Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic) in the past 5 years than UIC. We have very good clinical practice at our school. Our school and faculty are affiliated with Rush, Northwestern, and Loyola, which are some of the top medical centers in Chicago. Our faculty is very committed to teaching and you will great a great education. The NAPLEX rates are always above average at MWU too.

I have nothing bad to say about UIC...it is a great program. It just drives me crazy when people make comments about this topic and they don't really know what they are talking about.

UIC has a reputable name.
And it's more clinical than CCP...I know someone who's graduating from UIC, and will be teaching at CCP soon, and that person says with UIC they do more case studies, etc.
They are both good schools, but even if you're out of state, it's cheaper than MWU tuition...
i really wish I had applied to UIC...i missed the deadline though :(

I'd bet that UIC gives you more research and clinical opportunities as it is associated with the hospital (I don't know if MWU gives the same rotation) and will jumpstart your career in terms of research if that's what you want.

I think they are both very good schools. The major differences are location (obviously suburbs versus the city), school environment and cost - in my opinion. For me, I like the fact that UIC is in the city (I live in the city and very close to UIC - another major plus for me) and located in the medical district which seems like it would lend itself to a lot of opportunities. I had a great time at UIC during my interview. The students were awesome and very helpful and friendly, and the professor who interviewed me was really really nice, friendly and approachable as well.
If you like more of a campus feel - maybe Midwestern is more suited to you.
When I was at Midwestern's MCV we were told there are plenty of research opportunities there, and I didn't get the impression that it was more focused on community practice at all.
Some people choose Midwestern because it seems more personable to them and it has a reputation of their instructors being very focused on teaching. I don't know if this is true but I've heard that.
UIC was always my first choice, but I would have been more than happy to go to Midwestern. I was impressed by the school at my MCV. I just personally preferred UIC. I think it all comes down to what feels right for you and where you think you will have a better experience. This is different for everybody.

I'd bet that UIC gives you more research and clinical opportunities as it is associated with the hospital (I don't know if MWU gives the same rotation) and will jumpstart your career in terms of research if that's what you want.

There are plenty of research, both clinical and bench, at MWU. I have a friend who has already finished 2 projects (complete with a publication) and is working on #3 during rotations. Midwestern actually has a greater variety of rotation sites than UIC because we pay the institutions that take on students. This gives the student a large opportunity to tailor their rotation experiences to their interests.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone by my summary of the two schools. It was things that I heard from other people, sorry.

In all honesty, though, UIC is my first choice, as well because I want to go to school in the city, and saving money is ideal for me because I already racked up 40K in student loans for my Master's degree.

I applied to Midwestern last minute, and so got rejected without an MCV. I still did give my $50 for application fee. I consider it my contribution to the school. =)

But don't get me wrong - I like Midwestern a lot, too.

Midwestern has sent more students to residency programs (including Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic) in the past 5 years than UIC. .
MWU graduates significantly more students than UIC, 200 vs 160, and so, naturally, if percentages hold equal between the two schools, will send more students to residencies.
Some Midwestern students actually do academic rotations at UIC.
UIC pharmacy has one of the largest pharmacy rotation programs. You can sites as varied as Abbott and Caremark. You can stay in Chicago or head downstate. From my understanding, for rotations, if an insitution has to pay for its students to be placed, it is looked down upon. In many health care circles, it is seen that the university in question is bad. I hear a lot about this issue from the medical students.
At some locations, both UIC and MWU rotate together.
This is a list of current research opportunities at UIC pharmacy. http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/offices/oaa/oaa1/z2007/Potential_topics_fall07.pdf
When it comes to NAPLEX/MBJE, it seems like every school is above average.
A large amount of renovation is being completed at UIC. The 2 North wing, with its fancy plasma TVs, was just completed. They are about to embark on renovating the compounding lab from what I hear. We are about to get a new dean.
You'll be at UIC during its 150th anniversary.
For this year, UIC in-state tuition and fees, for students who entered after summer 2006 was about $8,300 per semester. They have not stated next year's tuition yet.

I was at the MCV back in November at CCP and based on my experience at the UIC interview, I just wanna say that the students at UIC were alot nicer and friendlier. It made me want to go to the school and be a part of the class. We had almost no interaction with students at CCP and the student "panel" seemed like all they did was study and study.
So I just got a better feeling at UIC apart from the academic perspective too.
I have known students at both the schools and CCP students just go to class and go home and do their own thing..not much of a college atmosphere there.. once again only my opinion..I could be wrong..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on rotation with another student from UIC and we both got a good laugh because we knew more about staging HTN than all the resident physicians!

But in all honesty...don't turn to a message board to make you decide where to go to school. Go with your gut and to the place you feel the most comfortable. I got into UIC, UMich, and USC..and I chose Midwestern because it "felt right." I don't regret this decision at all. You gotta go where you are gonna be happy and not where people tell you that you "should" go. If that was the case, I'd probably be miserable in CA right now!

There are good and bad things about both schools. We can tell you to some extent about those things, but in the end, it is your life. Most students at both schools will say they made the right choice by going to X school. I can tell you that your class will have a slightly different curriculum because of the new standards. It might take them a year to iron out the problems. I can tell you that they are thinking about increasing the minimum passing pharmaceutical calculations score.

Hey thanks for the input guys, I am not really turning to message boards to make my decision because its true everyone has their own fit, I am just trying to see what other people think between the two schools, I know there are a lot of people on here who can give me good info on both schools and that really helps me. Anyway still havent decided yet.

Hey thanks for the input guys, I am not really turning to message boards to make my decision because its true everyone has their own fit, I am just trying to see what other people think between the two schools, I know there are a lot of people on here who can give me good info on both schools and that really helps me. Anyway still havent decided yet.

Since it seems that both colleges offer enough opportunities in community vs. clinical, I would think that the final deciding factor would be cost. It's 30-40 K more overall to go to Midwestern. Depending on what portion of your salary will be devoted per month paying off loans, that extra could add years to your loan payments. If there was a huge benefit to going to Midwestern, I'd say money's no object, but there doesn't appear to be. The only thing I can think of is if you live with your parents and they live near Midwestern, you may save on commuting or moving to the city which may partially offset the extra for tuition. In either case, good luck and it's a good thing to have options. If you decide on UIC, see you in the fall!

From what I've heard, UIC's class sizes are huge and the professor's do not focus on teaching you or nurture you. Midwestern has reviews for exams and assists you in doing well overall whereas at UIC you have to learn everything on your own. Both school's are good but it depends on your style of learning. Personally, I feel like I would do better with the Midwestern style of teaching and environment.

I got into both schools, but I really think I'll end up at Midwestern. After going through both schools' interview processes, MWU just seems more dedicated to its students. It has a community feel to it that UIC just doesn't seem to have. To top it off, they're student centered rather than research centered from what I've seen and heard form students are each school.

From what I've heard, UIC's class sizes are huge and the professor's do not focus on teaching you or nurture you. Midwestern has reviews for exams and assists you in doing well overall whereas at UIC you have to learn everything on your own. Both school's are good but it depends on your style of learning. Personally, I feel like I would do better with the Midwestern style of teaching and environment.

??? Midwestern's class is over 200, whereas UIC is only 160...

UIC>Midwestern

Theres really no comparison.

Top ten school with cheaper tuition v. unranked school with ridiculous tuition? Really a no brainer.

Also, Chicago >>>>> Downers Grove. And I lived in Downers Grove for 18 years.

Theres really no comparison.

Top ten school with cheaper tuition v. unranked school with ridiculous tuition? Really a no brainer.

Also, Chicago >>>>> Downers Grove. And I lived in Downers Grove for 18 years.

Top ten school == Faculty focused on research, which is great, if you plan on a career in research.

"Ridiculous tuition" == 9k more than UIC for in-state, which happens to the amount you would save on housing by living on-campus at Midwestern, assuming for UIC minimum $1.2k/mo apt rent if you want to be anywhere close to UIC

Downers Grove is reasonably close to Chicago, but far enough that there's less pollution and fewer criminals.

Top ten school == Faculty focused on research, which is great, if you plan on a career in research.

"Ridiculous tuition" == 9k more than UIC for in-state, which happens to the amount you would save on housing by living on-campus at Midwestern, assuming for UIC minimum $1.2k/mo apt rent if you want to be anywhere close to UIC

Downers Grove is reasonably close to Chicago, but far enough that there's less pollution and fewer criminals.

$1.2k a month minimum??? I dont think so...:thumbdown:

'08-'09 Tuition for CCP: 28.2K
'08-'09 Tuition for UIC: 16.6K

Correct me if I'm wrong (although I'm pretty sure I got an "A" in first grade substraction), but I believe that 28.2K-16.6K does not equal 9K, but rather 11.6K. Try again!

OMG UIC is such a scary place! Chicago is just full of criminals and pollution :smack:. Surprisingly, reading what you think is probably even more painful for me than thinking is for you (hint: it's really painful).

UIC: $8,294 per semester, $16588 per year.
Midwestern: $28,146 per year. Plus, the instate health student stipend has been discontinued, making it as expensive to go to Midwestern as being out of state.
Also, from what I remember, the on-campus housing options for Midwestern are hella expensive.

Edit: way to beat me to it vupharm. Is this how it's gonna be next year?

Edit: way to beat me to it vupharm. Is this how it's gonna be next year?

Haha, depends on what it is. I'm always quick with a sarcastic retort! ;) I look forward to meeting you and the rest of our classmates in June/August!

'08-'09 Tuition for CCP: 28.2K
'08-'09 Tuition for UIC: 16.6K

Correct me if I'm wrong (although I'm pretty sure I got an "A" in first grade substraction), but I believe that 28.2K-16.6K does not equal 9K, but rather 11.6K. Try again!
Apparently Midwestern no longer offers an in-state tuition break. Score one point for you. Good job!

Housing: one could live at Midwestern on an actual campus in a newly built facility for $7,686/year (12 mos), or pay at least $12,000/yr+utilities/upkeep to live somewhat close to UIC and wait at CTA stations in freezing temperatures for the six months of the year when it is miserable.

OMG UIC is such a scary place! Chicago is just full of criminals and pollution :smack:. Surprisingly, reading what you think is probably even more painful for me than thinking is for you (hint: it's really painful).

The difference in quality of life between suburban and urban living is real. You might prefer urban living. It's a personal preference, and you're willing to put up with all the nuisances that come with living in downtown Chicago. Not everyone shares your preferences which is why it's obnoxious when people on this board claim that UIC is categorically better than Midwestern.

Apparently Midwestern no longer offers an in-state tuition break. Score one point for you. Good job!

FYI, the reason MWU no longer offers in-state tuition is because Blagovich cut the funding to private universities prior to leaving his office. It is unfortunate, but you will know if MWU is the right fit for you and likewise, UIC. I have lived off-campus since I began my coursework at MWU and rent averages $850-1100 for a 1 bedroom apartment. If anyone would like more information on student life or the education at Midwestern from a current student, please feel free to PM me. Thanks and good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I'm a student at Midwestern and if I could do it again I would attend UIC for the following reasons:

1. It's cheaper.
2. I HATE the 3 quarter system. Just when I get used to one schedule it changes again.
3. I have had some of the WORST professors of my college career-and I have 2 bachelors degrees.
4. Downer's Grove sucks. I'm constantly training into the city for entertainment.

But I underestimated my competitiveness and took the first offer that came to me. I was also too cheap to fly to interviews or to lose a matriculation deposit-though in hindsight it would have saved me LOADS of $$$ had I gone to UIC.

Last edited:
sry posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
bump this thread up for people like me who are still debating which campus to attend this fall '10; please provide any additional comments/opinions that have not been discussed here already; it would be extremely helpful;

IMO, it is better to go with a state university or a reputable, long established private school. Always consider cost, too. I lived in the burbs of Illinois at one point (Wheaton) and I was bored to tears. I always had to ride the train into the city to do something fun. Not sure if you need much of a social life, but there is much more to do in the city. Also, UIC is a well-known state school. You are going to have TONS of opportunities coming from that school. Pharm school is what you make of it, though...

Haha what a funny thread. I currently go to MWU and would most definitely go to UIC if I had to do it again. The trimester system is pretty sadistic and it really seems as though we aren't learning but rather regurgitating back information on exams (we are going to make great pharmacists :thumbdown:). Also, the Downers Grove/Naperthrill area gets old after a while (seriously, you can only go to Miller's/Champ's/Kona Grill some many times). Lastly, I know the MWU campus is beautiful and they're making some pretty impressive additions around campus, but in all honesty if you have been accepted by both schools, I would suggest attending UIC.

If your only interest is getting your PharmD, then the school either Midwestern or UIC doesn't really matter. To me it really comes down to money and location. I personally hate the city and traffic. Both places have high living expenses. Midwestern is more expensive to attend. Entertainment really isn't a factor...who has the extra money for entertainment anyhow? Do something for free like sports, cards, board games. So, I really think it comes down to price and whether you like the city or suburbs more.

I chose MWU over UIC. I finished my undergrad at UIC and there was a lot of self learning and lack of faculty support. I have heard that UIC pharmacy is very similar. Also, the campus isn't anything special. The location is horrible and quite depressing. I lived in the city for the majority of my undergrad and I am quite bored of it. Everyone has different preferences and requirements of their schools so not everyone will agree on which is better. It depends on what you want!

None of us here have been in the two programs at once, so our opinions are merely speculation. I think the OP should take these posts with a grain of salt. The East likes to be go to the West, and the West dreams to go to the East. As human beings, we are uncertainty in where we go or wat we do, so we tend to think the other side of the grass is much greener, but in fact it's the same. Just do it!!

I chose MWU over UIC. I finished my undergrad at UIC and there was a lot of self learning and lack of faculty support. I have heard that UIC pharmacy is very similar. Also, the campus isn't anything special. The location is horrible and quite depressing. I lived in the city for the majority of my undergrad and I am quite bored of it. Everyone has different preferences and requirements of their schools so not everyone will agree on which is better. It depends on what you want!

Every time I read your posts, you make me want to choose MWU over UIC. Seriously, you should be paid to be Midwestern's spokesperson :laugh:

I am finishing my undergrad at UIC and it isn't too bad although I have nothing to compare it to since I've only been to UIC. Did you apply to UIC early? I've read somewhere else in our vast forums that you were accepted to 4 schools

If you got accepted to both and you were an Illinois resident, I think you'd be crazy not to go to UIC. The tuition is quite a bit less at UIC, the school is better known(better for residencies and fellowships if you're interested in that), and I hear from quite a bit of people that Midwestern babies you and doesn't fully prepare you as well as they should. My pharmacist I work for went to UIC and when he first started working at the hospital, he would work with others from Midwestern and they would comment about how much more he knew compared to them. It might just be me, but I'd rather go to an out of state school compared to midwestern. The tuition is about the same, the class size is smaller, and the schools are more known. That's just me though.

During the interview I was told that many times the professor teaching a certain topic usually has a PhD in that field. This doesn't mean I am pro-UIC, just saying...
I think both schools offer a very competitive education/preparation! Just depends on other factors like location and price.

i heard that the UIC campus provides an entire array of professors and lecturers that have specialized on what you're learning; they even bring original authors and researchers of the material that's being studied; can anyone clarify this?

Yes, at the interview the students taking us on the tour mentioned numerous times that they pull in experts to lecture on various topics. He said that often, Doctors from the neighboring hospitals and UIC Medical School would stop by to lecture on their respective specialties. I guess one time an author also flew in from Boston to lecture on something. He actually said some people might be turned off by having so many different professors for one course, but I thought it was a huge plus in my books.

Does Midwestern also do this? They did not mention anything about it during the interview.

As far as the whole MWU vs UIC thing, I have worked with many part time retail pharmacists who have graduated from UIC, and they were all doing some awesome full-time jobs (managing a coumadin clinic, clinical pharmacists, one owned his own consulting business). They all praised UIC's program, but they did graduate a while ago.

During the interview I was told that many times the professor teaching a certain topic usually has a PhD in that field. This doesn't mean I am pro-UIC, just saying...
I think both schools offer a very competitive education/preparation! Just depends on other factors like location and price.

This is true, but you'll soon come to find out that this doesn't necessarily transfer to teaching ability. Many of the lecturers are downright painful to listen to.

The clinical director and director of pharmacy at the hospital I work at have both said to me "we have an opening for a clinical pharmacist, and we are only interviewing UIC graduates for that position".

If you want to go clinical, UIC will make it easier to get a job in my opinion.

debating uic or usc for the past 3 months...money aside what school do you think offers more opportunity for success. planning on dual degree with PharmD/MBA. any insight will help thx

debating uic or usc for the past 3 months...money aside what school do you think offers more opportunity for success. planning on dual degree with PharmD/MBA. any insight will help thx

USC is know for its business program AND pharm school, so I'd pick USC over UIC... although both schools are well respected, the chances of getting into USC are very slim so I'd run with that acceptance as quick as I received it!

I agree with nicole UNLESS you plan on staying in the midwest to practice. IMO, it is wise to go to a school in the region you want to practice unless you're planning on a residency. UIC is a well-known school and midwest schools are known to have strong, clinical programs but if you want to stay in Cali, USC is the better choice hands down.

I Had an interview at midwestern long time ago (more than a month now), they still have not made the decision yet!!! and no its not that I did not get in, I emailed them and they said, committee still has to cover alot of students.
I had an interview at UIC, 2 days ago, I got accepted yesterday:)
UIC is pretty affordable, MWU is way too expensive.
I did my undergrad at UIC, loved it. Every single faculty member I met during MWU interview, went to UIC for their undergrad :)
UIC is not too beautiful, so is Midwestern, I did not like the campus for what it costs to go there. There is a free parking at MWU, but garage was full at 8:30 a.m. I found spot on roof somewhere.
UIC interview was one on one for however long you want to talk (I took 45 min. really!!!), assistant dean gave me the whole tour and that was it for interview. Relaxing and super sweet people.
MWU interviews 5 students in a group in 30 min max. has writing portion, scary presentation about financial stuff, lunch, and tour is given by 2 students, who did not want to walk outside alot because it was cold and they were running late for their class :)
UIC ranks top 7th still, mwu i dont even know.
UIC is famous for research based pharmD but most of the community pharmacists I met are from UIC too.
love UIC!!! Don't mean to offend anyone but this is just my opinion, I may be biased.

Hey MN4Pharm... Congratulations! Can you shed some more light on the interview you had at UIC and how you prepared for it? Also, if you don't mind, can you share your scores/degree/credentials. I am also an UIC undergrad but have not yet been called for an interview at UIC pharmacy college. When did you turn in your supplementals? Best of luck in your pharmacy endeavors!

hey MN4Pharm... Congratulations! Can you shed some more light on the interview questions posed by UIC and how you prepared for it? I am an undergrad at UIC as well. If you don't mind, can you share your pcat score/degree/credentials? Good luck in your pharmacy endeavors!