Midwestern-IL Downers Grove INTERVIEW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nio87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview from Midwestern-IL for December 3, anyone else having an interview that day?

If you already had an interview there, any feedback to share?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

just scheduled mine for dec. 2nd.

Mine is nov 18. It seems like EVERYBODY is getting an interview here though so I'm not too excited about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
App was complete late september and they offered me an interview the next day. This was the case for a few others on the forum as well. I'm curious as to how many they are actually interviewing? Tuition is supposed to be ridiculous, the school isn't built yet, it's not really making a good impression on me.

yes, it does seem like they're taking a lot of interviews and seems like even those that applied late are getting one. but it seems understandable - a lot of people don't want to apply there because its a new school, so they might not have as wide of a selection of applicants as other schools and also probs just want to interview as many as possible so that they can be sure to fill their class.

i interviewed there a few weeks ago. i went into it just going for the sake of practicing an interview, but i actually kind of liked the school. no, the building isn't built yet, but the rest of campus is very nice. they also reassured us that everything will be finished by the time school starts, and i believe it, a good amount of it is built. the dean/faculty that spoke to us were all really nice. the other students there (although not dental) also seemed nice.

midwestern has a good reputation in healthcare AND also they have midwestern AZ that they're basing some of their curriculum off of, so it's not like they're going in blindly. overall, i think it'll be a good school, you just have to be willing to be a little adventurous and not let the fact that the building isn't finished yet scare you. and yes tuition is high, but it's also high at many other schools.

you'll probably be surprised :thumbup:

yes, it does seem like they're taking a lot of interviews and seems like even those that applied late are getting one. but it seems understandable - a lot of people don't want to apply there because its a new school, so they might not have as wide of a selection of applicants as other schools and also probs just want to interview as many as possible so that they can be sure to fill their class.

i interviewed there a few weeks ago. i went into it just going for the sake of practicing an interview, but i actually kind of liked the school. no, the building isn't built yet, but the rest of campus is very nice. they also reassured us that everything will be finished by the time school starts, and i believe it, a good amount of it is built. the dean/faculty that spoke to us were all really nice. the other students there (although not dental) also seemed nice.

midwestern has a good reputation in healthcare AND also they have midwestern AZ that they're basing some of their curriculum off of, so it's not like they're going in blindly. overall, i think it'll be a good school, you just have to be willing to be a little adventurous and not let the fact that the building isn't finished yet scare you. and yes tuition is high, but it's also high at many other schools.

you'll probably be surprised :thumbup:

Thanks for you advice, I hope I will get impressed..!! just one question, I heard MW-Arizona has an essay part on the interview, did IL have it aswell? was the interview one-on-one....and was the actual interview a good practice for other dental school interviews (if you have been to other ones since then)

I interviewed at both Midwesterns and neither of them had essays.

The interview style at MW-IL is "speed dating" style. There are 5 rooms and on each door there's a scenario/question. You get 2 minutes to read it over and then go inside the room and talk to a person one-on-one for 8 minutes about the scenario. Then when times up you move to the next door and go around until you're finished.

My other interviews have been just one-on-one with one person, but it was still good practice interviewing there. UMich has a similar style interview (but I think with 10 people).

When I went to my interview they stated that they were interviewing between 250-300 for 125 spots. Really, that is not an unusual number for private schools. I also really liked the campus and feel their off to a great start for a new program.

Actually it appears that Midwestern-IL is being more selective than AZ. AZ has handed out tons of interviews all the way through Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview from Midwestern-IL for December 3, anyone else having an interview that day?

Thanks,

Yeah I have an interview December 3rd as well. I'll just start shouting out whose Nio87 haha, just kidding, ill refrain..

I interviewed at both Midwesterns and neither of them had essays.

The interview style at MW-IL is "speed dating" style. There are 5 rooms and on each door there's a scenario/question. You get 2 minutes to read it over and then go inside the room and talk to a person one-on-one for 8 minutes about the scenario. Then when times up you move to the next door and go around until you're finished.

My other interviews have been just one-on-one with one person, but it was still good practice interviewing there. UMich has a similar style interview (but I think with 10 people).

So you never received any questions about yourself and ur application, just scenarios? what types of scenarios were you given?
I searched on the interview feedback forum and people were saying they had actual one on one interviews about their application, so Im confused if its different every time, sometimes speed dating and sometimes one on one normal interview?

can someone else confirm this type of "speed dating" interview?

So you never received any questions about yourself and ur application, just scenarios? what types of scenarios were you given?
I searched on the interview feedback forum and people were saying they had actual one on one interviews about their application, so Im confused if its different every time, sometimes speed dating and sometimes one on one normal interview?

can someone else confirm this type of "speed dating" interview?

Yes mid-il is the speed dating type. It is closed application and based solely on your answers to 5 ethics questions that are not necessarily having to dowith dentistry.

theres a question or scenario on the door and you initially answer/talk about this when you first answer. after that they keep on asking you questions and you answer back so you are kind of having a conversation.

it's closed app like bigbrightsmile said, they don't know anything about you when you enter. so you basically have to show your personality and who you are in your answers.

everyone i've talked to or heard about has had this style interview at mid-il

Thanks,

Anyone knows how long the interview is by itself? I know it starts around 8 and ends at 1 PM...but how long will the interview take?

Hey! The interview takes about an hour. You have a 10 minute interview with each of 5 people and a "rest station" for 10 minutes during the rotations.

Nio you just have to calm down. No sense messaging every single person on here for the last 3 or 4 weeks only to publically ask us the same questions the night before the interview. There's no way you can prepare for this type of interview, and it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. Relax, do the interview, if it goes well then that's great, if not then learn from it.

Hi, so did you have your interview at Midwestern today? Do you mind sharing some experience....Im in here in chicago right now for my interview there tomorrow and Im pretty much freaking out. Would you mind sharing one or two scenarios you were given so I know what to expect...I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. I have never been to a interview before not even a job,,,so I dont even know what to expect..

Thanks in advance

Can i ask you something. what do you think the carrier center in school is for?

you can set up mock interviews with them. You will be surprised how knowledgeable they are.