Midwestern IL interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shebsssss

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I just got an interview at midwestern IL but cannot find anything about the interview process since it's new. Has anyone interviewed there before and can give me some feedback on what to expect? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Shebs, it’s not really an interview you can prepare for because the questions are mostly random... some have to do with optometry but most are reflection questions like, “name a time when you felt/did/etc.” you get 5 minutes for each question and will not know what the questions are until 1 - 2 minutes beforehand.

The individual interviews are a very small part of the day overall so try and enjoy the experience and ask any questions you have. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you end up having your interview? How did it go? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you end up having your interview? How did it go? Any advice?
Yes I did! It went great. They are all super friendly and make you feel comfortable. It’s in the beginning of the day so you get it out of the way. Super relaxed. It’s 2 professors interviewing you, and they ask you “tell me about yourself” “why optometry” “what clubs are you in” “if I looked at your gpa and oat what would I see” and then just questions about what you said about “why optometry” it’s conversational based. Then you have the chance to ask them questions. It’s closed file so they don’t have grades or anything. And it takes about 15/20min. You’ll do great!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Shebs, it’s not really an interview you can prepare for because the questions are mostly random... some have to do with optometry but most are reflection questions like, “name a time when you felt/did/etc.” you get 5 minutes for each question and will not know what the questions are until 1 - 2 minutes beforehand.

The individual interviews are a very small part of the day overall so try and enjoy the experience and ask any questions you have. Good luck!
Thank you for all this!! They changed it this year where it’s not MMI, so just questions about ourselves. But I prepared for both so thank you!! H

Yes I did! It went great. They are all super friendly and make you feel comfortable. It’s in the beginning of the day so you get it out of the way. Super relaxed. It’s 2 professors interviewing you, and they ask you “tell me about yourself” “why optometry” “what clubs are you in” “if I looked at your gpa and oat what would I see” and then just questions about what you said about “why optometry” it’s conversational based. Then you have the chance to ask them questions. It’s closed file so they don’t have grades or anything. And it takes about 15/20min. You’ll do great!

Thank you so much Shebsssss for the information! That's so nice to hear its not MMI style this year. My interview is on Monday the 8th. I'm very excited! I'm glad to hear your interview day went well. I hope you hear back soon :)

Thank you so much Shebsssss for the information! That's so nice to hear its not MMI style this year. My interview is on Monday the 8th. I'm very excited! I'm glad to hear your interview day went well. I hope you hear back soon :)
Thank you so much, I’m know you’ll do great!!! Let me know how it goes!!

Hi! I have an interview October 8th as well!!! Are you ready for it?? Looks like I will see you there :)

Hi! I have an interview October 8th as well!!! Are you ready for it?? Looks like I will see you there :)
Oh, that's exciting we're interviewing the same day! I do feel ready for it. How about you, do you feel ready? I'm excited to see the campus!

Oh, that's exciting we're interviewing the same day! I do feel ready for it. How about you, do you feel ready? I'm excited to see the campus!

Yes I'm ready!! Lol just a bit nervous.. Im going to PM you!!

Yes I'm ready!! Lol just a bit nervous.. Im going to PM you!!
2 professors interview you,they’re very friendly. They talked a little about themselves. Then on to you. tell me about yourself? why optometry? some questions relating to what you just said ( very conversational so don’t worry). Any clubs you are in? If I looked at your gpa& oat what would I see? then maybe 1 or 2 more questions about you. But it was pretty short and then you ask them questions. Make sure you have at least one.You’ll do awesome I’m sure! And I haven’t, hoping to within the next week!

Sorry it could only be 400 characters so I wanted to post on here

2 professors interview you,they’re very friendly. They talked a little about themselves. Then on to you. tell me about yourself? why optometry? some questions relating to what you just said ( very conversational so don’t worry). Any clubs you are in? If I looked at your gpa& oat what would I see? then maybe 1 or 2 more questions about you. But it was pretty short and then you ask them questions. Make sure you have at least one.You’ll do awesome I’m sure! And I haven’t, hoping to within the next week!

Thank you so much!! I hope you hear back from them soon! If you don't mind can you tell me what your stats were like??

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much for your input. Keeping my fingers crossed you hear from them soon

How was the interview? I have mine in a couple of weeks and have no idea what to expect
It went great! It was exactly as Shebsssss described above. The faculty at MWU is extremely friendly and easy to talk to. It is two professors that interview you and it's very conversational. They asked me why optometry, what I like to do, and do I think my GPA and OAT is a good representation of how I am as a student. You'll be fine. :)

It went great! It was exactly as Shebsssss described above. The faculty at MWU is extremely friendly and easy to talk to. It is two professors that interview you and it's very conversational. They asked me why optometry, what I like to do, and do I think my GPA and OAT is a good representation of how I am as a student. You'll be fine. :)
So happy to here!!!! Did they tell you when they would let you know their decision??

So happy to here!!!! Did they tell you when they would let you know their decision??
After all the interviews were finished we went back into the conference room to have the presentation about CCO but, before it started Kerry the assistant director of admissions came in and told us that the committee was meeting that same day and we would find out the next day about our results. And I received my acceptance email yesterday.

After all the interviews were finished we went back into the conference room to have the presentation about CCO but, before it started Kerry the assistant director of admissions came in and told us that the committee was meeting that same day and we would find out the next day about our results. And I received my acceptance email yesterday.
Congrats!!!! I hope to get accepted too since I live nearby and really don't want to go out of state. Are you going to go to midwestern or still deciding??

Congrats!!!! I hope to get accepted too since I live nearby and really don't want to go out of state. Are you going to go to midwestern or still deciding??
I'm still deciding because I have an interview coming up. I spoke with some optometry students about if I get accepted should I still go to my other interview and they said yes just so I am can make the best-informed decision about which school best fits me. I was really impressed with the optometry building, faculty, and the off-campus clinic so I'm leaning toward midwestern right now.

I'm still deciding because I have an interview coming up. I spoke with some optometry students about if I get accepted should I still go to my other interview and they said yes just so I am can make the best-informed decision about which school best fits me. I was really impressed with the optometry building, faculty, and the off-campus clinic so I'm leaning toward midwestern right now.
That's awesome! I interviewed yesterday with MWU CCO and I got my acceptance offer this morning! I was very blown away by the faculty, the building and also the off campus clinic! I am on the same boat, I have two other interviews and as of right now MWU CCO is my top choice! May I ask where your other interviews are?

That's awesome! I interviewed yesterday with MWU CCO and I got my acceptance offer this morning! I was very blown away by the faculty, the building and also the off campus clinic! I am on the same boat, I have two other interviews and as of right now MWU CCO is my top choice! May I ask where your other interviews are?
Congratulations on your acceptance! Maybe we will be classmates :) my other interview is at Salus on the 26th.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Maybe we will be classmates :) my other interview is at Salus on the 26th.
Thank you! We definitely might! I have my interview with ICO coming up next Friday and also Midwestern AZ! I had a few people that interviewed at Salus when they interviewed with CCO, they said they liked CCO a lot better compared to Salus, but maybe it'll be different for you! Lmk how it goes!

Thank you! We definitely might! I have my interview with ICO coming up next Friday and also Midwestern AZ! I had a few people that interviewed at Salus when they interviewed with CCO, they said they liked CCO a lot better compared to Salus, but maybe it'll be different for you! Lmk how it goes!
I heard the same thing from the students that gave us the tour of CCO. They said they toured other places and liked CCO better. One girl even said that she got into her number 1 school but ended up choosing CCO because of how impressed she was with the school and the good/family vibes she got from the school. And I completely understand what she's saying because I feel the same way.
I'll for sure update you on Salus!
Good luck with your other interviews! I want to hear about yours too!!

I heard the same thing from the students that gave us the tour of CCO. They said they toured other places and liked CCO better. One girl even said that she got into her number 1 school but ended up choosing CCO because of how impressed she was with the school and the good/family vibes she got from the school. And I completely understand what she's saying because I feel the same way.
I'll for sure update you on Salus!
Good luck with your other interviews! I want to hear about yours too!!
Yeah honestly going into the interview, I viewed CCO to be my last choice, but it definitely shifted to the top as of right now! I'm not even concerned about the "accreditation" dilemma that a lot of people question about because I'm confident they know how to pass boards based on how well MWU AZ has very high pass rates. It's just the fact that we take a risk in it and we wouldn't have a full class of students until we enroll in the Fall of 2019, and also we are not sure what rotation sites they have established yet. But yes I will definitely make a thread reflecting on all of my interview experiences!

Yeah honestly going into the interview, I viewed CCO to be my last choice, but it definitely shifted to the top as of right now! I'm not even concerned about the "accreditation" dilemma that a lot of people question about because I'm confident they know how to pass boards based on how well MWU AZ has very high pass rates. It's just the fact that we take a risk in it and we wouldn't have a full class of students until we enroll in the Fall of 2019, and also we are not sure what rotation sites they have established yet. But yes I will definitely make a thread reflecting on all of my interview experiences!
I'm same as you... CCO went from the last choice to top lol. I am not worried about the accreditation part at all either for the same reason you just said and also my boyfriend went to the osteopathic program there and he said that MWU knows what they're doing and they will get accreditated. They've done it with plenty of other programs. And I'm not too worried about the extern sites. I think they're on top of it already and I believe they said you can even attempt to set up your own site if you wanted.
I will look for your interview thread!