Midwestern Masters of Arts Biomedical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilekid003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first time applicant to dental school this cycle but things are not looking too great for me so far. I have not taken my DAT yet but will be in a couple of weeks. My GPA is pretty low and, therefore, I am looking for an SMP to enhance my science background. I have a 2.6 sGPA and a 3.2 overall GPA. I am hoping to get feedback from students who have attended/are currently in the Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences at Midwestern (either Downers Grove or Glendale campus). How competitive is it to gain acceptance? Also, what is factored in consideration of the application apart from GPA and test scores? I have a strong personal statement, work/volunteer experience, extracurriculars, and letters of rec. but does the admissions committee look at any of that? Also, I applied to the Midwestern Dental Schools but received emails saying my science GPA does not meet their requirements so they are unable to process my application further. I have heard that those who get rejected can ask to have their application forwarded to apply for the masters programs. Since I have not (officially) been rejected seeing as it is still early in the cycle, is it better to wait and apply after December 1st? If so, should I wait until after I have my grades from the Fall 2016 semester?

Sorry for the semi-long post, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

My stats were close to yours and I got waitlisted at Midwestern's SMP. However, I applied very late. I think I submitted only a week before their cycle closed (some time in June). I think you have a good shot at getting in if you apply early.

My advice? Save your money and don't apply to dental school this cycle. I applied with stats like yours but I had a 20AA/20TS DAT and great everything else... and no interviews. Apply to Midwestern's SMP when they open (Jan or Feb, I think), fix your GPA, then apply. I would also advise you to hold off on taking the DAT until after you complete a semester or two of the SMP, because you will learn a lot of stuff that will help raise your score.

My stats were close to yours and I got waitlisted at Midwestern's SMP. However, I applied very late. I think I submitted only a week before their cycle closed (some time in June). I think you have a good shot at getting in if you apply early.

My advice? Save your money and don't apply to dental school this cycle. I applied with stats like yours but I had a 20AA/20TS DAT and great everything else... and no interviews. Apply to Midwestern's SMP when they open (Jan or Feb, I think), fix your GPA, then apply. I would also advise you to hold off on taking the DAT until after you complete a semester or two of the SMP, because you will learn a lot of stuff that will help raise your score.

Thanks for the advice jjabromoff! I've already applied to dental schools but I don't see much hope so I'm going to definitely apply early to the master program. Did you get waitlisted at the AZ or IL Midwestern? I've also already scheduled my DAT so do you think it would look bad to retake it if I wanted to raise my score higher?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am a first time applicant to dental school this cycle but things are not looking too great for me so far. I have not taken my DAT yet but will be in a couple of weeks. My GPA is pretty low and, therefore, I am looking for an SMP to enhance my science background. I have a 2.6 sGPA and a 3.2 overall GPA. I am hoping to get feedback from students who have attended/are currently in the Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences at Midwestern (either Downers Grove or Glendale campus). How competitive is it to gain acceptance? Also, what is factored in consideration of the application apart from GPA and test scores? I have a strong personal statement, work/volunteer experience, extracurriculars, and letters of rec. but does the admissions committee look at any of that? Also, I applied to the Midwestern Dental Schools but received emails saying my science GPA does not meet their requirements so they are unable to process my application further. I have heard that those who get rejected can ask to have their application forwarded to apply for the masters programs. Since I have not (officially) been rejected seeing as it is still early in the cycle, is it better to wait and apply after December 1st? If so, should I wait until after I have my grades from the Fall 2016 semester?

Sorry for the semi-long post, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Consider WesternU SMP. Their deadline is March 2017 for class of 2017. The thing about Western is that you can retake the courses that you received C's in Fall 2016/Winter 2016 and they will replace those classes when you submit the application for SMP, which will help your sGPA significantly.

Reactions: 1 users
Consider WesternU SMP. Their deadline is March 2017 for class of 2017. The thing about Western is that you can retake the courses that you received C's in Fall 2016/Winter 2016 and they will replace those classes when you submit the application for SMP, which will help your sGPA significantly.

Thank you for sharing Socalaphile! Are you enrolled in the program or are you at all familiar with how challenging their coursework is? I searched their curriculum but I see that it is not as science heavy compared to other biomedical science programs I've looked into.

Consider WesternU SMP. Their deadline is March 2017 for class of 2017. The thing about Western is that you can retake the courses that you received C's in Fall 2016/Winter 2016 and they will replace those classes when you submit the application for SMP.
Thank you for sharing Socalaphile! Are you enrolled in the program or are you at all familiar with how challenging their coursework is? I searched their curriculum but I see that it is not as science heavy compared to other biomedical science programs I've looked into.

I am thinking of applying for 2017 if I do not receives interview offers by then.

I went to their preview day for the SMP program. I am unsure what you meant by science courses are not intensive. I have taken a look at their curriculum and they required 36 or 38 units of science classes in a duration of one year.

What I like about their program is:
1. They will cover the cost for up to 3 dental schools when you're applying for AADSAS.
2. The first day of school is on the first week of June and ends in 8 weeks. Meaning, I can get my grades ready to submit with my AADSAS by July to show the upward trend.
3. The SMP alumni said that 90% of their class got in Western for DO/dental/pharm and the rest went some where else.

What do you like about Midwestern?

I am thinking of applying for 2017 if I do not receives interview offers by then.

I went to their preview day for the SMP program. I am unsure what you meant by science courses are not intensive. I have taken a look at their curriculum and they required 36 or 38 units of science classes in a duration of one year.

What I like about their program is:
1. They will cover the cost for up to 3 dental schools when you're applying for AADSAS.
2. The first day of school is on the first week of June and ends in 8 weeks. Meaning, I can get my grades ready to submit with my AADSAS by July to show the upward trend.
3. The SMP alumni said that 90% of their class got in Western for DO/dental/pharm and the rest went some where else.

What do you like about Midwestern?

Apologies, that was my fault! I was looking at the wrong list for the curriculum. I see that they have an MSBS and and MSHS program. Which one were you referring to? As far as I see, the MSBS emphasizes a research component and it is heavy on biotechnology (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. My personal interests just lie in a non thesis and non-research program since I have research experience and feel it is not for me).

In regards to what I like about Midwestern's Biomedical Arts Program, it is the following:

1. While there is no linkage to the dental school program, the students who have completed their masters have their application files reviewed separate from the rest of the application pool
2. The program's duration is 9 months, so it is ideal if you are looking for a program that isn't too long
3. The class size is relatively large (109 seats in AZ and 85 seats in IL)
4. There is no separate application if you have already applied to the dental school. You can simply have your AADSAS application forwarded for review by the admissions committee for the masters programs.

I currently work for a dentist and have a close relationship with another recent graduate from the MA program. Both had nothing but positive things to say about the faculty and curriculum. I am used to the semester system at my undergraduate school but Midwestern uses a quarter system that has an integrated sciences approach, which I personally think is helpful when trying to closely focus on few classes at a time.

Do not attend the Midwestern AZ masters program unless you plan on getting a 3.8 GPA in the program and over a 120 total on the DAT, don't waste your time or money they wont even give you an interview even though they say they have a contract with their dental school they do not abide by their documents. You are better off at a different school even the IL campus is better.

Hey, I did the MA program at MWU AZ last year and will be attending their dental school. PM me if you have any questions on the program, I'd be happy to share my experiences with you!

Do not attend the Midwestern AZ masters program unless you plan on getting a 3.8 GPA in the program and over a 120 total on the DAT, don't waste your time or money they wont even give you an interview even though they say they have a contract with their dental school they do not abide by their documents. You are better off at a different school even the IL campus is better.

A 120 total on the DAT?

Probably adding up the 6 sections of the DAT (not including AA or TS) I assume. BIO, GC, OC, PAT, RC, QR

I attended MWU's MABS in Downers Grove, IL. It was a great program that probably was one of the biggest factors to get into MWU Dental School. First of all you get TWO guaranteed interviews to both Midwestern Dental Schools. No other program can advertise that. As long as you meet the requirements. Second is that if you get into Midwestern dental school, you will be taking the same classes taught by the same professors as you did in the masters program. The master students in my dental class are all in the top GPA ranking and are way less stressed because they already know the material.

I have no idea about how selective admissions to the MABS program is or what factors they look at. All I have heard is that every year it is becoming more competitive. With more and more qualified applicants looking for an edge it's an attractive program.

Spots fill up fast. A lot to people will be rejected and find out before December. By the time December roles around and reapplicants look for alternatives to a gap year, there is a flood of MABS applications. I think I turned my MABS application in by October when I was first denied to Midwestern.

Just my insight. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I attended MWU's MABS in Downers Grove, IL. It was a great program that probably was one of the biggest factors to get into MWU Dental School. First of all you get TWO guaranteed interviews to both Midwestern Dental Schools. No other program can advertise that. As long as you meet the requirements. Second is that if you get into Midwestern dental school, you will be taking the same classes taught by the same professors as you did in the masters program. The master students in my dental class are all in the top GPA ranking and are way less stressed because they already know the material.

I have no idea about how selective admissions to the MABS program is or what factors they look at. All I have heard is that every year it is becoming more competitive. With more and more qualified applicants looking for an edge it's an attractive program.

Spots fill up fast. A lot to people will be rejected and find out before December. By the time December roles around and reapplicants look for alternatives to a gap year, there is a flood of MABS applications. I think I turned my MABS application in by October when I was first denied to Midwestern.

Just my insight. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input jkswimman! But if I may ask, how did you know you got denied to Midwestern in October? I thought we wouldn't be told that until December at least. Also, do you think it would hurt to apply early with a low GPA or wait a semester and then apply after December? Realistically, I don't see my GPA going up drastically even if I were to get all A's since I'm going to be a senior now and have a good number of credits under my belt.

how did you know you got denied to Midwestern in October? I thought we wouldn't be told that until December at least.
You won't be told you are ACCEPTED to dental school until December. You can be REJECTED anytime. I figured I would be rejected because by October I did not receive an interview invite despite an early application. Sure enough I got the reject email by late October. Apply to the MABS program early. The MABS program gets a spike in applications in December and October, right after rejection notifications go out.

do you think it would hurt to apply early with a low GPA or wait a semester and then apply after December?
I'm no expert in the dental application procedure so you may want to ask an advisor. That being said, in my opinion applying after December is a bad idea. Most of the seats have filled up and they already have a ton of qualified applicants on file. If you hope to have a GPA boost, apply early and update your records in December.

I disagree. I went through the MBS program and have classmates with a sub 3 that are currently in their dental program.

Reactions: 1 user