Midwestern U vs. PCO

Started by marsiren
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marsiren

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently accepted to both Midwestern and PCO/Salus and am having some difficulty deciding between these schools. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their own personal pros and cons of both schools as either applicants or current students!😀

Any feedback is appreciated!!
 
Last edited:
Midwestern a lot of people tend to stay away from because it's one of the new optometry programs. Not sure where it's at now though.
 
I applied to PCO and not Western, but I'll give you my PCO pro/cons.

Cons
  • seems pretty expensive. It doesn't have the highest tuition/living costs, but the students seem to graduate with more debt, compared to other schools, which makes me think their financial aid may not be great. Source: http://www.opted.org/wp-content/upl...ent-Data-Report-2014-15-Updated-July-2015.pdf
  • I don't know how much I like Philadelphia as a city
  • they don't seem to care that much about community service
  • I've heard negative things from a current student there, about how the curriculum isn't very well-organized.
  • Avg OAT AA of matriculants is pretty low
  • time-consuming/pricey to travel to and from home
Pros
  • the campus itself is quite pretty and has nice amenities like the fitness center just across the street
  • I want to go somewhere new for optometry school, and Philly counts as new