Midwestern vs. ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

trubluphx2

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I will be entering optometry school for the class of 2018 here very soon and am currently weighing two acceptance offers; Midwestern University here in my home state of Arizona or the Illinois College of Optometry. I could really use some advice on which school to choose, particularly from current or former students of either school (pros/cons etc.). Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. please don't just post trash about a school unless you'd like to explain why.

I have no more interviews scheduled, so these will be the only two schools I have to choose from.

Thanks in advance!
 
Second year at ICO here. I don't know anything about Midwestern, but I for one now that ICO is a fantastic school. Feel free to message me too if you have any specific questions. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there is a significant difference in the price of tuition at these two schools, that would probably be the basis of my decision. Cost of living is a huge factor as well.
 
I'm sorry, I just became a thorn in my own side for posting something unhelpful. Here is my .o2 - Midwestern is new. They have nice and shiny equipment, but a small selection of rotation sites from what I hear. It would be helpful to know what your criteria are for choosing a school. If it is purely academic, you may want to attend the more established school. In the end, my decision came down to cost and location.
 
I think I've decided on ICO. When you look at the additional fees that Midwestern charges it actually ends up costing more, plus I feel like I will get better clinical experience at an established school which is what employers will really be looking for I think.