Midwesterns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobeavers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
A quick question. I have read that the schools in chicago and arizona fill up pretty fast. Is it even worth it to send in secondaries at this point in the game if my stats are below their average?
thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats?

I had sat on my CCOM and AZCOM stuff for a while before sending it out and I got interview invites very quickly thereafter, so they do act pretty quickly. I say go for it if you are within their 'range'.

gobeavers said:
Hey guys,
A quick question. I have read that the schools in chicago and arizona fill up pretty fast. Is it even worth it to send in secondaries at this point in the game if my stats are below their average?
thanks for the help!

Yes! If you are interested in attending either of these i would suggest getting the secondaries in ASAP. Even if you stats are a little low, wow them with something original. The price of the secondary, if nothing else, buys your security from brutal regret and wondering "what if??" when classes roll around and you are without a seat :eek: I say, go for it! Right Now!! Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
NonTradMed said:
What are your stats?

I had sat on my CCOM and AZCOM stuff for a while before sending it out and I got interview invites very quickly thereafter, so they do act pretty quickly. I say go for it if you are within their 'range'.

My MCAT is horrible, 21. Alot of ECs though, work in orphanages around the world, research, board of directors for a camp for children, another camp for children...GPA is 3.6 non science, 3.9 my last 2 yrs and 3.4 science.

I just am worried i would be wasting my money, feeling discouraged at this point.

Well, your MCAT is kind of low, but the GPA is high, so you may have a shot. Sounds like you got good extracurriulars, so why not give it a shot? If you don't get in, there's always next year and another try at the MCAT.

Btw, if you don't get into the school of your choice, you really should retake the MCAT. It's a pain, but all med schools will look at that. They say DOs look beyond the numbers but my experience has been they are less random about their selection process---i.e, if you fall within their academic range, they will at least give you an interview. That's my advice, take it for what it's worth! :)

I would encourage you to apply because these admissions process is so random and you never know what might happen. Also, you have to accept the idea that applying to medical school is an expensive process so it's not like you can avoid taking chances or gambling. Being nervous and losing money is part of the process. :)

But yes, I know that's not the type of response you are looking for. To tell you the truth, you would probably be waitlisted at AZCOM and I'm not sure if you would even get waitlisted at the Chicago school since it's more popular and more competitive than AZCOM. You would probably get an interview at AZCOM but it would likely be in late March to early April in which they are interviewing for their waitlist. Your GPA and experience would land you an interview but your MCAT is too low to be admitted during the regular process. Almost every AZCOM student has amazing experiences and strong GPA's so it wouldn't set you apart enough to compensate for a low MCAT, if you are talking about being admitted during the normal non-waitlist term. FYI, AZCOM had it's most competitive class admissions-wise this past year.

If you can live with the idea of possibly being admitted off a waitlist, then I would certainly apply to AZCOM. But if you are seeking more of a sure thing, you might consider applying to one of the many new DO schools that are opening up. New schools in general are known to take chances on students with lower entrance stats.

Whatever happens good luck and I wish you the very best. I still think it's worth giving it a shot but that's just me.

gobeavers said:
My MCAT is horrible, 21. Alot of ECs though, work in orphanages around the world, research, board of directors for a camp for children, another camp for children...GPA is 3.6 non science, 3.9 my last 2 yrs and 3.4 science.

I just am worried i would be wasting my money, feeling discouraged at this point.

What was your MCAT distribution like? GPA looks good, as do extracurriculars.

Some food for thought, though:

Medical school applications are way up this year, for some reason. They had experienced a dropoff in the late 90s and up until about 2002, but they're back on the rise. This means only good things for medical schools, as they will be able to be more selective with their applicants. For example, TUCOM-MI is on pace to get 4,000+ applications this year for 100 spots (135 total seats, 35 of which were already filled by Early Decision folks from last year's cycle). That's a 4% acceptance rate. Also, consider the timing of your submission: People currently are being put into interview slots for February, and these are people that already have completed applications and secondaries. You could be interviewing in April, and that's if you get one. Sorry to sound pessimistic. Your GPA and extracurriculars are awesome, but the lateness of the cycle and your lowish MCAT might be too much to overcome. I suggest retaking the MCAT in April, doing GREAT on it, and then come next June 1st, send all your stuff in, you'll have secondaries done by August, and you'll have your choice from among some very nice schools. You won't have to feel like you forced the issue. Good luck to you.

Schools are getting more and more competitive...once again matching the allopathic level..the sooner you get in..the better

mikeypo0 said:
Schools are getting more and more competitive...once again matching the allopathic level..the sooner you get in..the better

Yeah, especially AZCOM, Western and TUCOM because of their location on the west coast. These schools are more difficult to get into than some allopathic schools.

Can't forget NSUCOM, Ft. Lauderdale baby! Pretty nice

thx rahul azcom was nice too..wen i interviewed there :thumbup:

You've got to try. You'll never know if you don't. I think the secondaries are only $60 each, so give it a shot. TRY!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

does their secondary stuff come online, via email with link to website or in the snail mail?

maxhealth said:
You've got to try. You'll never know if you don't. I think the secondaries are only $60 each, so give it a shot. TRY!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
AZCOM secondary is only $50.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
does their secondary stuff come online, via email with link to website or in the snail mail?

Their secondary comes via snail mail.

lane113 said:
Their secondary comes via snail mail.

thanks for the reply! :)
do you know about how long between receipt of AACOMAS and secondary invite? my AACOMAS was just mailed to them a few days ago. i live almost on top of the school, so it shouldn't take too long for the snail mail to get here, i was wondering more about office turn around time. i know 2 people there - M3's, they really like it! i would love to interview there.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
thanks for the reply! :)
do you know about how long between receipt of AACOMAS and secondary invite? my AACOMAS was just mailed to them a few days ago. i live almost on top of the school, so it shouldn't take too long for the snail mail to get here, i was wondering more about office turn around time. i know 2 people there - M3's, they really like it! i would love to interview there.

If I remember correctly, I received the secondary about three weeks after my file was sent out by AACOMAS. Once you get the secondary, turn it in ASAP. Good Luck! PM me if you have anymore questions. :)