Midyear 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The last time I was in Vegas for a MidYear, it snowed...My wardrobe was woefully unprepared for snow and temperatures that never broke 40 degrees the whole week. I thought I was going to the desert and 80 degree days. Not in December 😱

Pack warm clothes!!
 
The last time I was in Vegas for a MidYear, it snowed...My wardrobe was woefully unprepared for snow and temperatures that never broke 40 degrees the whole week. I thought I was going to the desert and 80 degree days. Not in December 😱

Pack warm clothes!!

But once you are in a Vegas hotel, there's no need to go outside. You could be indoors for days without seeing the sun!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, but seriously we should go get drinks. I will need something after the onslaught of interviews.

:laugh: You buying on your big pharmacist salary ? :meanie: You are interviewing people or will be interviewed ? For which program ?

I'm interested in UIC.
 
I'm very very excited - this time around I invested - both time and financially wise and I got a HAWT killer suit for my interviews - it's like no other suit and cost me a fortune. :claps:
 
Do residencies actually interview at Midyear? I got the sense that it was more like a trade show where you go from booth to booth and just talk to people.

It's a big giant meat market where you get about 30 seconds with the current resident and 15 seconds with the director (if the resident lets you by) before the next resident-to-be comes bumping through.
 
And you have to weed out the asshat sub-4th years who are there to "survey the landscape" - aka interfere with actual residency candidates talking to people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And you have to weed out the asshat sub-4th years who are there to "survey the landscape" - aka interfere with actual residency candidates talking to people.

I think they were good about it last year in keeping non-P4's out of the showcase until the final hour, I didn't get too much interference while there. I think the P4 ribbons were bright/obnoxious looking too.
 
Anyone throwing down the extra dough to stay at Mandalay Bay? I'm wanting to book soon, but really have no idea if its worth booking at that hotel or even the affiliate hotels. I went to a convention in Vegas back in '06 that it was beneficial to stay at the same hotel as the meeting so I'm hesitant to look into other options...
 
Anyone throwing down the extra dough to stay at Mandalay Bay? I'm wanting to book soon, but really have no idea if its worth booking at that hotel or even the affiliate hotels. I went to a convention in Vegas back in '06 that it was beneficial to stay at the same hotel as the meeting so I'm hesitant to look into other options...


The advantage to staying at a conference hotel is having the shuttle services to drive you to the convention.
 
Anyone throwing down the extra dough to stay at Mandalay Bay? I'm wanting to book soon, but really have no idea if its worth booking at that hotel or even the affiliate hotels. I went to a convention in Vegas back in '06 that it was beneficial to stay at the same hotel as the meeting so I'm hesitant to look into other options...

Look at Luxor and New York New York. We got a good deal on Luxor on Expedia.
 
Anyone throwing down the extra dough to stay at Mandalay Bay? I'm wanting to book soon, but really have no idea if its worth booking at that hotel or even the affiliate hotels. I went to a convention in Vegas back in '06 that it was beneficial to stay at the same hotel as the meeting so I'm hesitant to look into other options...

I am..basically because the people I'm splitting with had bad luck not being at the hotel that the conference was in last year. But most people from my school are going with the Luxor, which is cheaper even if you book thru ASHP. I believe they said it is connected to Mandalay Bay through a walkway.
 
You guys can probably rent a house and a van and just valet park it at Mandalay...this was my plan B but I have a crash pad in the vegas.
 
for the price, excalibur is usually dirt cheap...but that place is pretty nasty IMO. Upside: 3 minute monorail trip direct to mandalay.
 
for the price, excalibur is usually dirt cheap...but that place is pretty nasty IMO. Upside: 3 minute monorail trip direct to mandalay.

Thats where I stayed the last time I went to Vegas. It is not that sh***y but super cheap like I remember paying $40 a night. I just went like 2 months ago.
 
There is a Harrahs in Vegas.

Ususally there is some sort of reception for your school or state...
 
The hotel selection this year kinda sucks...not too many options

Last time it was in Vegas there was a much better variety...Wynn, Bellagio, Venitian, Paris...and cheaper places like Treasure Island, Bally's, Mirage, etc...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm going to be a P1 so I'm kind of jumping the gun here but do you guys think it'll be of any advantage for me to go? I realize it might be a little early but it seems like a pretty solid excuse to go to Vegas :laugh:
 
i'm going to be a P1 so I'm kind of jumping the gun here but do you guys think it'll be of any advantage for me to go? I realize it might be a little early but it seems like a pretty solid excuse to go to Vegas :laugh:

None, but you might get to see how these things go. You could also go during P3 which might be more beneficial.
 
complete waste IMO. if at all early, go p3

It might not be a total waste if you want to get involved with ASHP-SSHP through your school's chapter (for example, in a leadership role) or through the national ASHP-SSHP leadership roles. Otherwise, it may not be of much use, to my understanding.
 
One other word of advice to the Vegas first-timers: there are no free buffets at the casinos. I don't know why I thought there was going to be, but I had never been to a casino before, and thought I was going to be eating on the house. I had to scramble to come up with enough money to pay for the food court (Burger King, KFC, etc.) at O'Shea's.

O'Shea's was an interesting place; I didn't think you could really play WAR at a casino like Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid did in Vegas Vacation. I was sad to read that it just closed a few months ago.
 
One other word of advice to the Vegas first-timers: there are no free buffets at the casinos. I don't know why I thought there was going to be, but I had never been to a casino before, and thought I was going to be eating on the house.

What the hell. Hahaha.

You get tons of free booze while you gamble (just tip your girls well), and if you lose enough money you *might* get comped a free buffet meal, but you probably will need to lose a substantial amount of money.
 
The M resort buffet is pretty good for $35 but is far from the strip. I hear Spice Market Buffet at Planet Hollywood is good.
 
What the hell. Hahaha.

You get tons of free booze while you gamble (just tip your girls well), and if you lose enough money you *might* get comped a free buffet meal, but you probably will need to lose a substantial amount of money.
From what I've heard, comps are more about revenue than profit, so to speak. If you're playing $25 blackjack for 3 hours, winning some, losing some, up and down, that would be preferable to dropping $100/hand and losing it all in 20-30 min. Something like you want the pit boss to notice you there, consistently spending your money for a while.



While we discuss great places to eat, let us not forget everyone's favorite.... In N Out! 😍
 
From what I've heard, comps are more about revenue than profit, so to speak. If you're playing $25 blackjack for 3 hours, winning some, losing some, up and down, that would be preferable to dropping $100/hand and losing it all in 20-30 min. Something like you want the pit boss to notice you there, consistently spending your money for a while.

It's so automated now...the frequent player cards have all but replaced the discretion of pit bosses at most places.

I don't even go to vegas to gamble anymore...I usually end up blowing $2k on food and booze. Then again, it's like $180 round trip airfare for me + a free place to stay.
 
How can we find out what specific days are interviews ? I'll be on surgery( again :meanie:, love acute care !) so I imagine they won't let me take more than two days off for sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How can we find out what specific days are interviews ? I'll be on surgery( again :meanie:, love acute care !) so I imagine they won't let me take more than two days off for sure.

go to the ASHP website, look up Midyear Clinical Meeting, and see whta days the "residency showcase" are.
 
How can we find out what specific days are interviews ? I'll be on surgery( again :meanie:, love acute care !) so I imagine they won't let me take more than two days off for sure.

I never understood acute care hospital rotations being upset about taking off for midyear (unless you're a total slacker). You could clear it with your preceptor now though.
 
Most PGY1 programs do not participate in PPS and there are no real interviews for PGY1 at Midyear...just attend the days of residency showcase (usually Mon and Tues).
 
Most PGY1 programs do not participate in PPS and there are no real interviews for PGY1 at Midyear...just attend the days of residency showcase (usually Mon and Tues).

This is true...but it depends on the individual program. I matched, but sometimes I wish I did PPS for a few PGY1 positions. PPS might be beneficial depending on what you're interested in.