Midyear in Vegas

Started by legrita
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

legrita

New Mommy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...

Are yall going to Midyear or not? We had to book our hotel several weeks ago. We're staying at the Venetian. I just booked my flight last Wednesday and got round trip tickets for on $197!! Our program is reimbursing us when we come back. I haven't registered for the meeting yet.

Is anyone thinking of PPS?
Has anyone done it before?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
 
I am going... I haven't booked anything yet, my company will book a block of rooms, as it always does for everyone who is going, whether they are involved in the fellowship or not. And my program hasn't told me yet what dates I need to be there, so I can't book my flight.
 
i'm going but haven't booked yet... should have that done in a week or two. i'm thinkin of PPS ...but don't see the point,😕 i guess i have some questions that need clarification.😕
if u go thru PPS and get a clinical job.... do they give u a residency certification after a year??? how does it work
what are the advantages of PPS over a residency ???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm going but haven't booked yet... should have that done in a week or two. i'm thinkin of PPS ...but don't see the point,😕 i guess i have some questions that need clarification.😕
if u go thru PPS and get a clinical job.... do they give u a residency certification after a year??? how does it work
what are the advantages of PPS over a residency ???

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the PPS. It's not a program, it's a process for conducting interviews by participating programs, which may include employers, residencies, and fellowships. If you register for PPS, it gives you several advantages:
- your profile is published, so potential employers/postdoc programs have access to it and will contact you if they find you a suitable candidate, and will invite you to set up an interview time
- you get access to the profiles of all the participating programs (searchable, though it's not the best search engine and glitches at times) and can find ones you find interesting and contact them to set up interviews
- you can get interviews with many different programs in one place, so you don't have to travel far and wide. Many very popular programs use it as a screening tool - they select candidates they would like to bring in for onsite interviews at the PPS.

If you are interested in a residency, unless you know for sure that your first-choice program participates in PPS, it does not make sense to register for it, since all the programs will be at the Residency Showcase (free with the Meeting registration).
 
That's surprising. I thought all the residents go... after all, they are the ones who have to man the booths!

I guess it might be because we're a one-resident program. I am manning our state convention's booth next month so I'm not totally off the hook :laugh: I have always wanted to go to Vegas, but I am happy to see San Francisco again. This time I want to make it to some vineyards 😀
 
Yup...going to vegas. I havent registered or anything. the hospital does all of that themselves. I did PPS last year and met a couple of residency program directors. I would recommend to anyone who would like to do a residency or need to find a job if you have time for it. It is your opportunity to "show your face". Mostly the program directors just talk about their own programs, but it is an opportunity to make an impression so that would remember you out of many. Good luck to all.
 
I'm going. I kind of took charge of gathering people to go from my school, and so far we have 16 P3s and about 8 P4s going.

I'll be staying at the Flamingo for $75/night (split between a bunch of people) and I got my flight there for $99 each way. I'll be registering for the meeting in a week or two.