Mileage deduction

Started by Creflo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I practice in my home state as well as another state. I am self employed in both states. Am I able to deduct mileage between states? From what I have read, this is deductible if you plan to do it less than one year, but my local accountant said it's deductible even long term. Any input?
 
The IRS website says, "You can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home. However, you can't deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite." So that is where the one-year limit comes in. But if you're traveling intermittently away from your "tax home" on business trips to another location, expenses related to that work travel can be deducted indefinitely.