Military anesthesia match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye-eye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a rare and crappy situation and trying to figure out what to do, and have always gone back and forth on becoming a military physician, so want to learn more.

I was in a civilian anesthesiology residency but, after two years, got fired over "communication issues." Long story short, I could've done a few things better and the program didn't really give me a heads up that they were this concerned, so I got a "resign or you're fired without probation." Ended up resigning with okayish wording on my training forms, but now trying to find vacancies, the conversation ends immediately once the programs see my forms. And now I'm finding that no one is willing to write me an updated letter from my program, so I don't have high hopes for another ERAS/NRMP cycle this year. Also running out of money and have a spouse and child to support.

So my consideration of military medicine has come back. I'm sure I wouldn't be at all competitive for a spot right now, but I figure I could be a GMO for a couple years, be able to support my family, and work hard to get good recommendations from my superiors. And I know exactly what I did wrong at my last program, and can work on those issues.

But this is all just theory and I don't have any first-hand knowledge of military medicine. Having this wording in my training forms will ways hold me back a bit, but I don't know how much it would in the military. My understanding is that years of service bumps up your competitiveness considerably; but can it overcome things like this, or are years of service and letters from your superiors during a GMO tour just a small factor compared to the hurdle of past difficulties in a residency program?

Just trying to understand more about the realities behind the theories and heresy from people who may actually know.

I appreciate any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

This type of post pops up here every so often. So this is going to sound really blunt and probably mean, but the military has enough problems (systemic and with its own GME) that it doesn’t want someone who has baggage. Could you talk to a recruiter and join as a GMO? Maybe, doubtful. But you’ll have all the same issues applying for residency related for letters of rec and your GME history in the military as you had in civilian world. Military GME isn’t a blank slate for you to apply for. Yes, years of service and time as GMO matters but generally not more than other traditional “points” like step scores, letters of rec, etc
I wish you the best of luck in future endeavors

Reactions: 1 user
the program didn't really give me a heads up that they were this concerned, so I got a "resign or you're fired without probation."

That's doubtful. Most programs give residents lots of 'heads up' (periods of probation, remediation, etc) before firing them. You either had such a heads up and ignored it, or you did something very egregious that warranted immediate dismissal.

If you have a medical license (having completed PGY1 and applied), you might be able to join the .mil as a general medical officer, and then later on apply for GME (anes, whatever you want to do). But it'll be an uphill battle.

You're probably better off seeking re-application/re-admission as a civilian.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's doubtful. Most programs give residents lots of 'heads up' (periods of probation, remediation, etc) before firing them. You either had such a heads up and ignored it, or you did something very egregious that warranted immediate dismissal.
I got a verbal "hey, you should communicate about this drug choice better" (I preferred one opioid over another and some attendings love it while others hate it, as I came to find out). A few months later I got a "hey, pharmacy noticed you take out more of this drug than most people" (because I use it instead of the more commonly used one) and a drug test. I thought that was no longer an issue when the test came back clean, and no one ever told me I would be put on probation or fired. If they just told me "hey, stop using this unless the attending specifically tells you to," then I would have. But they didn't, and it came up again, so I got fired. Thus my statement that I could have done things differently but that I didn't realize they were THAT concerned.

But I digress, and it doesn't really matter now, as what's done is done. I appreciate you and @Onefellswoop87 being straightforward with me.

"hey, pharmacy noticed you take out more of this drug than most people" (because I use it instead of the more commonly used one) and a drug test. I thought that was no longer an issue when the test came back clean, and no one ever told me I would be put on probation or fired

Oh boy . . . never mind.

Your have a better path to redemption in the civilian world. The Mil Med likely wont be of much help. Consider joining later if you still have the itch.

I got a verbal "hey, you should communicate about this drug choice better" (I preferred one opioid over another and some attendings love it while others hate it, as I came to find out). A few months later I got a "hey, pharmacy noticed you take out more of this drug than most people" (because I use it instead of the more commonly used one) and a drug test. I thought that was no longer an issue when the test came back clean, and no one ever told me I would be put on probation or fired. If they just told me "hey, stop using this unless the attending specifically tells you to," then I would have. But they didn't, and it came up again, so I got fired. Thus my statement that I could have done things differently but that I didn't realize they were THAT concerned.

But I digress, and it doesn't really matter now, as what's done is done. I appreciate you and @Onefellswoop87 being straightforward with me.
Sounds like you still have no insight as to why you were fired. Drug choices definitely is not the issue. The military is not a good decision for you. Pick a different specialty. Something suggests their is more to the story then drug choices.

Drug choices definitely is not the issue.

It can be, if you decided to take some of the drug in question . . .

Imagining Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: 1 users
Strange that as a PGY2 you chose "I prefer to use this opioid" as a hill to die on.
Didn't really realize I was on a hill, let alone going to die on it. It was always framed as "yeah, that's fine, just make sure your attending is on board," and most were. But if I forgot to mention and it was an attending that wasn't on board...

Anyway, this thread has just become everyone reiterating how stupid I was, which I don't need reminders of, believe me. Going to go ahead and lock it, but thanks to everyone trying to help with blunt advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.