military EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordant13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Emergency Medicine is more competitive in the military than in civilian. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm considering taking either a Navy or Army HPSP and I'm interested in EM. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Jordant13 said:
I've heard that Emergency Medicine is more competitive in the military than in civilian. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm considering taking either a Navy or Army HPSP and I'm interested in EM. Thanks.

You can find civilian programs in EM more competitve than those in the military. The problem with the military programs is that there are so relatively few spots. That alone is one reason to consider training as a civilian first and then, if you really want to go military, go in through a loan repayment pathway. If you don't have prior service to give you a pay or advancement edge, you are far better off training civilian. The services would still be happy to have you.

BTW, none of the military training hospitals comes close to equaling the ER volume of leading civilian hospitals.

orbitsurgMD said:
You can find civilian programs in EM more competitve than those in the military. The problem with the military programs is that there are so relatively few spots. That alone is one reason to consider training as a civilian first and then, if you really want to go military, go in through a loan repayment pathway. If you don't have prior service to give you a pay or advancement edge, you are far better off training civilian. The services would still be happy to have you.

BTW, none of the military training hospitals comes close to equaling the ER volume of leading civilian hospitals.

Thanks for your reply. If I didn't match into the military EM but got accepted to a civilian program could I train civilian or would the military force me into another speciality,

Members don't see this ad :)
Jordant13 said:
Thanks for your reply. If I didn't match into the military EM but got accepted to a civilian program could I train civilian or would the military force me into another speciality,

You might be allowed to take the ER residency, but then again you might not. It would depend on the branch of service you selected and that branch's particular need for ER-trained staff whenever you would become available versus their possible more immediate need to use you as a GMO sooner than that. It is anybody's guess how you would do with that. If I were trying to figure out which way to go; I would choose the path that gave me the best chance at doing ER residency first. That would be a loan repayment program. If I felt the need to do HPSP, something I recommend you not do, then I would look at Army or Air Force. I do not recommend you join the Navy on any terms but loan repayment after residency.

Jordant13 said:

I do believe I am the only active duty EM attending who posts on this board (please correct me if I'm wrong everyone.)

To answer your question, this is true. If I had realized that one simple fact, I would not have signed up for HPSP. I, however, got lucky (thanks, in part to 99th percentile board scores) and managed to match in EM AND get a civilian deferrment AND match through the regular match at my number one civilian program. I use the word lucky for a reason. PM me if you want to chat about it on the phone.

I'm a 3rd year, getting ready to apply for EM. I'm a student at SUNY SB SOM.

Would appreciate an advice you have.

Desperado said:
I do believe I am the only active duty EM attending who posts on this board (please correct me if I'm wrong everyone.)

To answer your question, this is true. If I had realized that one simple fact, I would not have signed up for HPSP. I, however, got lucky (thanks, in part to 99th percentile board scores) and managed to match in EM AND get a civilian deferrment AND match through the regular match at my number one civilian program. I use the word lucky for a reason. PM me if you want to chat about it on the phone.

I just finished up a 4 year Navy HPSP commitment. I was actually in for 5 years, as the dirty little secret is that your intern year doesn't count for payback.

I did 6 months of hang time after internship waiting to class up for flight school in Pensacola, 6 months of FS training, and then three years as a flight surgeon in Norfolk, VA.

So I'm just starting my residency in EM. I chose a 1-3 program, so I am essentially repeating my intern year. I did consider doing a 2-4 program, and using that transitional year with the Navy to count. Thing is, your skills and knowledge deteriorate while being a flight surgeon. No kids, no elderly, and no chronic diseases means that any "real" medicine is supplanted with flight physical jargon, PRT pain and suffering, and general sickcall nonsense.

When I went through the interview trail, some programs were receptive to my military time and training, and others were decidedly not. There is another former Navy FS in my new EM class, but my program is very military friendly.

I hear that the Navy is now allowing some "straight-thru" EM residencies, and even some full time out service (FTOS) EM residencies in civilian land. That was one season, though, and has absolutely no bearing on next year, or for whenever you manage to get to the Match.

I don't regret my Navy time, as I would have missed out on some interesting experiences, but I definitely feel older compared to some of my new EM classmates who are straight out of medical school.

If you are prepared to take a training time out for 4-5 years and want some unique life viewpoints, then maybe it's for you.

Don't count on starting EM early, though.

And really look into navy (or whatever branch) EM residencies. Remember that the military population for the most part is healthy, drug free, and has easy access to medical care. Yes, there are the dependents and the retired, but exposure to the general population is at a minimum (on outside rotations), and your patients seen numbers are lower. And also remember--military EM physicians have the skills to pay the bills/man the sand pits and hospitals in combat.

If you want to be a Navy EM physician, wouldn't it be better to do the FAP? This way you match at a civilian residency like everybody else and don't go to the fleet until you finish.

Honestly, I'd love to be Navy Physician but my wife is 100 percent opposed to the idea and as she owns my medical degree. Still, I think you'd have to be stupid to do the HPSP and risk having a large portion of your career side-lined as a GMO. The FAP seems a much better deal or is there something I am missing?

I've read a great deal of vitriol against the Navy and having to salute nurses. Criticism of Navy GMO policies appear convincing, although whining about saluting seems a bit elitist.

What Army experiences have people had in EM? I've met several former Army EM Docs and they all highly valued the experience.

Thoughts other than vitriol please.