Quantcast

Military EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halethsonofhama

Big Easy
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
For you EM docs, What is your opinion of ex-military (particularly Army) EM docs who got their residency in the military, did their 4 year service and then entered the civilian pool.

Do you feel like they were above or below average in their skills as an EP?
Were they easy to work with?
Any other rants/praises/neutralities are welcome.

halethsonofhama

Big Easy
Reaction score
I do, I was hoping for non-military docs to get their opinion of the ex-military docs they have worked with (to get the reverse view). Its a long shot but I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I sign. (I just got approved for the HPSP program and the recruiter wants a yes or no but next week.)

I have another question, but I'll just PM it to you

medivac

EM Supahstah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an ex hpsp-er as well, navy though. You can pm me for specific questions, but in my group there are three of us ex navy folks, two who did residencies in the military. I don't think the civilians have any issues with any of us. In residency there were 2 military folks in our class, and we were equal if not more equipped for training. I cant speak for army, but my navy hpsp experience was excellent. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

D

deleted65604

One of my favorite attendings in residency was military and had done a couple of stints in Iraq. His penetrating trauma experience and airway experience surpassed any other attending hands down. He cussed a lot more than other attendings and seemed more hot-headed, but other than that, he was just another guy. He certainly wasn't a worse doc for his military experience.