Military ER Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threepeas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare and contrast the three Army ER residencies with each other, and compared to the average civilian ER residency?
you may visited them as a student, or are a current resident/attending, or you may have heard info second hand.
Also how competitive are they to match in to?
Thanks for your time.
mark
Compassion is the Cure !!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested in this too, if anyone has any info.

Let me get this straight...you want someone to post on the different services ER programs? That would be equivalent to someone posting on 3 different civilian residencies....how is that going to help? Do you expect to hear from an ER doc from each service? Hell, I'd be interested in that as well but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Members don't see this ad :)
threepeas said:
Can anyone compare and contrast the three ER residencies with each other, and compared to the average civilian ER residency?
Also how competitive are they to match in to?
Thanks for your time.
mark
Which service?

I can only speak to the USAF, but this year it was EXTREMELY competitive, because with its wondrous brilliance and foresight, they did not offer any civilian deferrals. That left like 13 spots to go around for a very popular specialty. Something like 2/3 of applicants came away disappointed this year. :thumbdown:
That being said, this year appears to have been an anomaly, and I would expect plent of deferrals next year. You know what they say about assuming anything though.
Steve

Croooz said:
Let me get this straight...you want someone to post on the different services ER programs? That would be equivalent to someone posting on 3 different civilian residencies....how is that going to help? Do you expect to hear from an ER doc from each service? Hell, I'd be interested in that as well but I'm not going to hold my breath.
OP was inquiring specifically about Army...

:oops:
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"

One day I'll get it. My apologies. In my defense I'm not used to seeing army without a capital A. :D

Croooz said:
:oops:
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"
"Reading is fundamental"

One day I'll get it. My apologies. In my defense I'm not used to seeing army without a capital A. :D
The original poster edited his post several hours after you and GMO_52 posted your replies. You can see the post as it originally was in the quote in GMO_52's reply. Nope, nothing about the Army there.

AHA! Reading is fundamental...but post investigational skills are a specialty. I detract my apology. For making me appear a fool you are hereby banished from having me comment on any of your future posts.

Good luck in the Army! :smuggrin:

OK Lets focus,
I think there was a question to be answered:
I too am interested in Emed, and would be curious to know what the differences (other than pay) are between military and civilian ED. Is an ED a good specialty to have in terms of opeerational medicine, i.e. in the field?

AubreyMaturin said:
OK Lets focus,
I think there was a question to be answered:
I too am interested in Emed, and would be curious to know what the differences (other than pay) are between military and civilian ED. Is an ED a good specialty to have in terms of opeerational medicine, i.e. in the field?
Your kidding right...? How exactly is someone supposed to answer this unless they did both, civilian & military? As far as operational....ummm...yeah. These type of questions can't be answered...how do you gauge two different people with two different opinions about two different residencies? :confused:

You could:
A) Get opinions from people who have rotated at different places

B) Listen to the opinions of interns and residents at the different programs of the high points and low points of each location; i.e. attending and staff attitudes, comraderie, workload (I think they call this a comparison)

C) Listen to the opinions of upper levels who might have been stationed at different places during their careers

I hate to say it, but if you've got nothing to add to the conversation, shut the hell up.

Bradleyp1 said:
You could:
A) Get opinions from people who have rotated at different places

B) Listen to the opinions of interns and residents at the different programs of the high points and low points of each location; i.e. attending and staff attitudes, comraderie, workload (I think they call this a comparison)

C) Listen to the opinions of upper levels who might have been stationed at different places during their careers

I hate to say it, but if you've got nothing to add to the conversation, shut the hell up.

By all means grand puba of ER residencies...what are the differences in the ER residencies? Taking your own advice would work well here.

Croooz said:
By all means grand puba of ER residencies...what are the differences in the ER residencies? Taking your own advice would work well here.

bradleyp-thanks for attempting something constructive, but your response is why i posted the thread hoping someone out there would have some of these answers.

croooz-tell me you have something better to do than than write non constructive material in these forums. just quit now as it is apparent after multiple postings you do not have what i am looking for to answer my questions. but i am sure you will write something after this reply and prove my point.

to all others interested in the question just be patient and hopefully someone with some insight will add to the thead.

Scutwork.com has what you're looking for. Do a search there for "Army" then read what they say. There are points of contact with emails and phone numbers so you can verify and ask questions.

Guys, you are approaching this the right way but wrong method or source. "Good initiative, poor judgement" This has been my point. Unless the people who post are willing to speak with you via a land line and give you POC's then you're wasting space & time.

Especially in the military it is good to read what's there as well as what's between the lines. This will help you immensely. Taking people at their word is a recipe for disaster in the military. It will cost you money, advancement oppurtunities, duty stations.... In the military it's best to research the info yourself but appear ignorant. This way you'll get a sense of who's being honest, dishonest, or just blowing smoke.

Another thing....start to develop thicker skin.

Shutting the hell up now... :D

This is a message board. It is not wasting space, this is digital information which takes up a microscopic amount of room on a hard drive on a massive computer somewhere, which none of us will ever see. We can post questions here without fear of looking stupid. If we were to contact the residency directors with our petty questions as you have suggested, that would be a great way to look like an idiot.

Nobody wants your advice. You obviously spent a couple of years in the military doing God knows what, pushing papers for God knows who, and developed this sage complex. We don't want to know about all your experience. If you've got something to say about EM, go ahead. I'm assuming you don't. Show some class and stop posting here.

People don't do much "via a land line" anymore. Welcome to the digital age, Rambo. People are too busy for phones. It's much easier to put your two cents in on a forum such as this one. This is a great place for an anonymous and unassumptive exchange of information. I ask a question, you throw me an answer. That's it.

And as for thicker skin...well, if it weren't for lowbrow caustic personalities such as yours, there wouldn't be a need for it. Army this, Army that. The Army's what you make of it. There are no absolute rules; a lot of things will ultimately depend on the group of people you surround yourself with. Thus the need for this thread.

Oh, and it's "judgment".

I got it. I don't know what I'm talking about and my advice isn't welcome. No problem. Good luck in your military career.

Croooz said:
I got it. I don't know what I'm talking about and my advice isn't welcome. No problem. Good luck in your military career.

Don't worry crooooz, I'm still with you.+pity+ You have given LOTS of usefull opinions. And I understood your points on this board even though you where a bit gruff. I value your opinion and you are one of the few on this board with first hand miltary med experience, so even if you were a complete dingus, your opinion would be valued.

+ I like you if for no other reason than you are the first person I have ever heard say, "Semper Gumby"
Keep posting :clap:

kedhegard said:
I just have to respond...my lower class status compels me to. The thing which bothers me most about your post is the assumption that you speak for everyone. You question & denegrate my military service and then come to the conclusion, for everyone no less, that you don't want to hear about my experience...unless it can benefit you. Interesting...

Then the "land line" and "Rambo" comment. Here's a little bit of experience you don't want to hear about, I work for the miltary now as a civilian and work along side Army & Navy physicians & scientist....a stone's throw from USUHS, NIH, WRAMC, NNMC....but that experience doesn't matter. Perhaps the fact I know how business is conducted in the military and how your outdated "land line" is viewed but again, there's that experience. In regard to the Rambo comment, this just demonstrates your lack of maturity. I never implied anything about combat. If you'd like I can post some stories about what it's like but you've no doubt read a book and have all the answers on what combat is, isn't, and should be. Besides you've already said that "we" don't want to hear about it.

Make the military what you want but if you can't handle my "caustic" personality how on earth are you going to deal with the Army's senior enlisted who chides you the same. Let me guess....your rank will put them in line. You have ZERO control on who the Army surrounds you with. So what will you do then? Rhetorial question. I don't want to read your mental masturbation on what you think life in the military will be so spare me.

You are going to have a very rough time in the military. You have zero clue of what I've done and don't care to know. That's fine. All those "we" you posted about have my PM box full asking for advice so they don't become the kind of physician you seemed destined for...not a compliment.

See they have learned what you refuse...."learn from the experienced not the learned". Feel free to spell check my post because that is all you have experience with. BTW, please do the same to those you serve with who rub you the wrong way. It pays off handsomely. I'd love to be around when you wakeup and find yourself smack dab in the middle of my fellow neanderthals.

Last few points and I'm back to my cave:
1. Why not use your new age digital skills & merely ignore my posts?
2. What about the surgery thread that 3peas started? Still nothing there either.....interesting..:rolleyes:

AubreyMartin,
I never ever claimed to be a nice guy. I'm one of the biggest dinguses you'll ever have the displeasure (is that a word kedhegard? did I spell it correctly?) of potentially meeting. The thing is Aubrey...I'm your kind of dingus. :cool:

Got nothing better to do than post on a site where your experience is irrelevant? Did you do an EM residency? Care to share your experience on what this thread is actually about? I'm sure you do have an inbox full of potential HPSP'ers looking to talk themselves out of a commitment. Great for you. Undoubtedly it'll boost your ego doublefold to provide them with hearsay and circumstance. Run grab a dictionary so you can understand what I'm talking about, Hooah.

Got anything to say about EM directly? Didn't think so.

As for the upper enlisted- much like I've done before...mutual respect. Show someone you're not an dingus, and you'll go far, in any area of life. Maybe you could start out with people you don't know.

I would like to clarify that both "judgment" and "judgement" are acceptable spellings of the same word.

kedhegard said:
Got nothing better to do than post on a site where your experience is irrelevant? Did you do an EM residency? Care to share your experience on what this thread is actually about? I'm sure you do have an inbox full of potential HPSP'ers looking to talk themselves out of a commitment. Great for you. Undoubtedly it'll boost your ego doublefold to provide them with hearsay and circumstance. Run grab a dictionary so you can understand what I'm talking about, Hooah.

Got anything to say about EM directly? Didn't think so.

As for the upper enlisted- much like I've done before...mutual respect. Show someone you're not an dingus, and you'll go far, in any area of life. Maybe you could start out with people you don't know.

Now YOU are wasting space (0101011000110)!!! Croooz's last post before you attacked him was useful info.
Ironically, I just wasted space in order to accuse you of wasting space...

We all obviously have too much time on our hands...