Military Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cincityghost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me on a thing or two about the Army match? My understanding is that one first ranks the programs in a given field in the order they choose. I also understand that 5 programs must be selected. If there are only three programs in that field, one must then fill in the last spots with a general internship year thus filling the rank up to five programs. If one were to not end up in any of the programs in the field they have chosen, is it unlikely/likely to get selected into one of the general internship years if you didn't interview with them? I just don't want to waste time in a general internship if i can get selected into the field i desire, whether it be military or civilian. Would being an above average or below average candidate affect the likelihood of being pulled into one of those general internship years? Also, if one were to get pulled into one of those spots, is it possible to have it happen again the next year? Or can one only do one general internship year? How does the match work for up-coming pgy2s? do they just apply to individual programs? Or do they go through the match again like every one else? Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

cincityghost said:
Can someone please enlighten me on a thing or two about the Army match? My understanding is that one first ranks the programs in a given field in the order they choose. I also understand that 5 programs must be selected. If there are only three programs in that field, one must then fill in the last spots with a general internship year thus filling the rank up to five programs. If one were to not end up in any of the programs in the field they have chosen, is it unlikely/likely to get selected into one of the general internship years if you didn't interview with them? I just don't want to waste time in a general internship if i can get selected into the field i desire, whether it be military or civilian. Would being an above average or below average candidate affect the likelihood of being pulled into one of those general internship years? Also, if one were to get pulled into one of those spots, is it possible to have it happen again the next year? Or can one only do one general internship year? How does the match work for up-coming pgy2s? do they just apply to individual programs? Or do they go through the match again like every one else? Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

The best source of information is from the Army itself:

http://www.mods.army.mil/MedicalEducation/ Click on the FYGME link, then on the "2006 FYGME Letter of Instructions." If that doesn't clarify your questions (or raises more) please post them.